Whirlpool IC HELP!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strat_thru_marshall

Reaction score
I need help, I recently bought a 50ft IC + whirlpool attachment.

Everytime I have used it, things have clogged up completely. I bought the IC + whirlpool to get away from hop bags, but the hops now are clogging everything up.

How do you guys that use Whirlpool+IC make it work without clogging up your system with hop junk??

Thanks in advance.

It clogs the minute i turn the pump on, I have tried leaving the bulkhead open right at the bottom of the kettle, I have tried a diptube that puts the pickup at the bottom corner of the kettle, and I have tried the diptube with a stainless scrubbie as a filter. Clogs every time. I dont want to use hop bags anymore if I dont have to, but right now I cant make this work without them.

Whole leaf or pellets?

GT

So far I have used both in both batches. Today I am going to try a hefe with just a small amount of pellets...we'll see how that does.

I am also thinking that the steel scrubber filter I used was too big, I am going to try trimming it down and using a much smaller piece.

If you're using pellets, ditch the scrubber. The pellet hops will go right through the whirlpool attachment.

I tried several kinds of scrubbers and the whirlpool clogged them all. The whirlpool should help get the hops and trub into a cone in the middle of the kettle, allowing you to draw off clear wort. You really shouldn't need the scrubber to filter.

I use a mash/boiler screen that attatches to the inside of your boiler. After a manual whirlpool, I then turn on my pump for wort to to to my Fermenator...it really takes care of the trub, most of it being left behind with no trouble blocking, even in the plate chiller.
mash-boil-screen.html

or you can use a false bottom with a dip tube as your pickup. this way the cone has a flat surface to settle on, and leaf hops should stay clear of your pickup tube.

Back