to re-pitch or not to re-pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMeans

Reaction score
There was a cream ale extract kit my wife wanted to do as a base for a strawberry beer. During the primary stage fermentation went great. I pasturized my strawberries for 15 minutes at 160 degrees, let them cool to 70 degrees then poured them into my secondary. I racked my cream onto the strawberries. Ever since there has been Zero activity from my airlock. This was done Sunday and now its Thursday.

I know the airlock IS NOT a reliable sign of fermentation as it could be fermenting at the bottom and the CO2 may be trapped many other situations. I am going to take a hydrometer reading tonight and another one on sunday morning to see if fermentation is occuring. Though I was under the impression that doing a fruit beer that fermentation goes crazy due to the added sugars from the fruit.

So I have a few questions I have are
1.) Did I do something wrong here or is there something I should have done if fermentation is not occuring?

2.) If I find that fermentation is not occuring is it too late to repitch yeast or is that just a bad idea all together?

3.) If I repitch is there anything specific I need to do or should I just start the yeast as usual?

Any advice is appreciated.

Wait til you do some gravity tests. You don't know if you even have a problem yet.

Back