Apfelwein as grog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretsforlife

Reaction score
In the Apfelwein thread, Edwort says to put a quart of Apfelwein in a sauce pan and simmer it with turbinado sugar, rum, and a cinnamon stick, but doesnt really give proportions. I definitely wanna try this out this winter. Does anybody have any good grog recipes using Apfelwein? thanks!:mug:

http://www.possmann.com/products.html

Check out the Heisser Apfelwein...

They bottle it with cinnamon, cloves, lemon, and sugar for making Hot apple wine.

I'd try those four ingredients...adding a little bit at a time until you get what you're looking for. Keeping track of how much of what you added.

My apfelwein is coming in at 10% alcohol. If you add 1 ounce of rum you're at 13% for 13 ounces. Oh yeah, it'll be warm too.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Funny you should ask this, because I read through the AW thread looking for this yesterday. Later in thread, Ed posted up the amounts he used.

Take a cup of Apfelwein. Add 2 oz of Turbinado Sugar, 3 cloves and a 1/4 stick of cinnamon and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let it steep for 30 minutes. Then add this to a quart of apfelwein and heat gently. You can add spiced rum for a kick.

You only boil a small amount as boiling the entire batch will kill off the alcohol.

My wife and I are having some friends over, and I'll be making this in a crockpot. I'm hoping that this will be "gentle-enough" heat.

Back