keezer collar questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
2 questions:

Any disadvantage to building so that the collar comes up with the lid? I can think of some advantages to it, but no real negatives (as long as the hinges are sound)

Why doesn't anyone insulate the collar?

Thanks.

You will have to make sure your hinges can handle the extra weight of the collar for sure. You might also want to thik about using a prop stick to hold it open because of the extra weight.

+1 on collar on the lid, and the prop stick.

Insulating the collar is kind of preference- Cold air sinks, so you shouldn't loose much without a lot of insulation on the top as long as the lid seals correctly and your collar is sealed at the seams. Some hard woods do a better job at insulating rather then lighter wood, do to the lighter woods poris nature. Insulating it won't hurt, just not always necessary.

i did mine to the lid and cant be happier. It is easier to add and remove kegs as the tubing and shanks are not in the way and the hinges of my magic checf hold a 6" collar perfectly fine. I would be willing to bet they would hold a 12 to be honest.

A Peek at Life as a Natic » My Kegerator Build

Yes, you can attach to the top.

I insulated my collar by injecting foam between the inner and outer walls:

2113-img_1295.jpg

I used 2x6 PVC fence material for my collar. It's hollow, with two ribs in the middle, so I cut strips of extruded polystyrene insulation and shoved it inside.

Cool. Thanks for the input and pics. Makes sense that most of the cold air will be below, but will probably insulate in some form or fashion for peace of mind. I esp like the double wall idea....seems like it'd work well for insulating as well as supporting long tap shanks.
THanks again.

I am in the process of building a keezer and attaching the collar to the lid. The stock hinge spring holds the lid up fine for now with my 1x6 wood attached. I don't know how muchof a difference three shanks and faucets will make, but it seems like it has plenty of more strength to hold up on its own.

As to the insulation question I haven't added any to the inside of mine yet, but if it seems like it is losing a signifigant amount of cold air because it isn't insulated, I will add some.

Here is a link to my build I am doing right now:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/middle-my-keezer-build-109613/

nice work :D

is that inner board lipped inside the kegerator? or measured to sit flush with the inner freezer wall

~j

Yes, you can attach to the top.

I insulated my collar by injecting foam between the inner and outer walls:

2113-img_1295.jpg

Made my collar lift with the lid also, I'm getting old, no need to lift it any higher than I need to and it lifts all the hoses up out of my way.

DSC031041.JPG

DSC03115.JPG

DSC03111.JPG

Back