Dunkles Weissbier Midnight Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRGriffith

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Danstar Munich
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 42F
Tasting Notes
Smooth chocolate, coffee, and a hint of spice from the hops. Overall very tasty.
Midnight Dunkelweizen - 5.5 Gallon
-6 Lbs. Wheat LME
-2 Lbs. Dark DME
-16 Oz. Midnight Wheat Malt
-8 Oz. Chocolate Wheat Malt
-2 Oz. Tettnanger (60 Min)
-Danstar Munich Yeast

Steep grain at 158F for 30 minutes. Boil volume - 3 gallons for 60 minutes. Water to 5.5 gallons. Yeast pitched at 72F. Bucket primary for 2 weeks, keg and carbonate. I had a little trouble at first with my new keg getting the hop particles through the poppet, but once it was disassembled and cleaned, it flowed perfectly. Just keep an eye out if you don't strain from your kettle, as there are a lot of debris.

This really turned out to be an awesome beer, albeit a little dark and sweet for the season we're in (it hit 92F the other day here in Morgantown, WV), but I'll definitely be making this again this fall or winter. Let me know what you think and if you have any questions!

Cheers! :mug:

IMAG0332.jpg

I've been itching to try a dunkelweizen. If I went ag, would I go with flaked wheat and Munich as subs and calculate to reach an og. What were your numbers og/ fg or abv.? Thanks for posting, looks great.

Yeah, I'd have to imagine that would work well. You may need to use more midnight wheat to get as dark as mine at 46.75 srm however. My OG was 1.057 and it went down to 1.014. I hope you give it a shot, and if you do, let me know how you like it!

Latest posts

Back