Using Citra with the other C's in a DIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFoster

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience using citra along with cascade, centennial, and chinook? I formulated a brew using those 4 hops and would love any thoughts on using those 4 hops together in a big double IPA.

Has anyone had any experience using citra along with cascade, centennial, and chinook? I formulated a brew using those 4 hops and would love any thoughts on using those 4 hops together in a big double IPA.

I just did a brew a month or so ago that I called C3 Ale because I used Citra's, Cascade, and Centennial (but I cant remember which hop was used for what!) Although I didn't make a double IPA, I did more of a pale ale, it was still bold and hoppy. I thought the recipe came out great, very assertive hop aroma and flavor, but balanced. I will admit that I was a little dismayed that the Citra character was not as bold as I thought it would be. It tasted more like I used cascades throughout the whole batch, but IMOHO you can't go wrong with that combination of hops! LEt me know if you are curious about which hop was used at what point, and I can look it up on my Beersmith when I get home and give you the particulars.

Have done it. Will do it again. (I used Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Citra, and Amarillo.)

I just did a brew a month or so ago that I called C3 Ale because I used Citra's, Cascade, and Centennial (but I cant remember which hop was used for what!) Although I didn't make a double IPA, I did more of a pale ale, it was still bold and hoppy. I thought the recipe came out great, very assertive hop aroma and flavor, but balanced. I will admit that I was a little dismayed that the Citra character was not as bold as I thought it would be. It tasted more like I used cascades throughout the whole batch, but IMOHO you can't go wrong with that combination of hops! LEt me know if you are curious about which hop was used at what point, and I can look it up on my Beersmith when I get home and give you the particulars.

Thanks. I'd love to know where you went with each hop if it isn't any real trouble.

Thanks. I'd love to know where you went with each hop if it isn't any real trouble.

Citra, boiled for 60 (0.7 oz) and 30 minutes (0.5 oz)

Centennial, 10 (1 oz), 5,(0.5 oz) and 0 minutes (0.5 oz)

Cascade- Dry hopped (1 oz)

If I remember correctly, this was originally going to be Yooper's House Brew, but I didn't have the correct ingredients, so I went in another direction. Tasty though.

You cannot go wrong. I brewed seven single-hops APA batches as an experiment. The favorites were in this order: Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, and Columbus. One of the batches was an all-Citra APA. It was one of the least liked. But, I love Torpedo, so I think if you use it as an aroma addition with the C-hops it will be awesome.

I did a IPA heavy on citra early this summer and am ready to do another heavy on citra with chinook for bittering. Anyhow the late addition citra was split with cascade because of everyone here saying about liking/not liking it. So I played it safe and wished I had used more. Whenever I get a new sack of plain ole two row again I'll brew it up. Using 12oz of citra between boil and dry hop.

Six Seas IPA

Batch Size: 6 gal OG: 1.081
Boil Size: 7 gal FG: 1.020
83% efficiency ABV: 7.9%
IBU: 80.1

7# 2 row
7# vienna
1# 40L
8 oz Special B
1# carapils

.75 oz Chinook (11.5% AA) 60
.75 oz Columbus (13.2%AA) 60
.25 oz Crystal (3.3%AA) 45
.25 oz Centennial (8.0%AA) 45
.25 oz Cascade (5.4%AA) 45
.5 oz Crystal (3.3%AA) 20
.5 oz Centennial (8.0%AA) 20
.5 oz Cascade (5.4%AA) 20
.5 oz Citra (12%AA) 20
1 oz Citra (12%AA) 2

1 oz each Citra and Cascade dry hop 1 week

Mashed at 154 F for one hour. Batch sparge at 165 F for 30 minutes
I used a Pacman yeast cake but you should get similar results with any American ale yeast

I've gotten a lot of good reviews on this beer so far. Very citrus-y nose from the late additions of citra and the dry hop. It is a bit sweet and has a thick mouthfeel from the malts and hops. I may try to reduce some of the crystals when I make it again.

Back