Are clear bottles OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ucdengboss

Reaction score
Can a hard cider or Apfelwein be bottled in clear bottles? I would love to make some but I am limited on brown bottles. I am sure that I have enough clear bottles laying around to do a batch though. Is sunlight really an issue with the hops (which the cider has none) or something else? I would do this carbonated like a normal beer bottling. Thanks!

Filtering out light is primarily for not skunking beers due to the reaction of UV light on hops. Just hide the clear bottles in a dark place if you are concerned.

:tank:

Clear bottle are fine for Apfelwein. Skunking in clear bottles is because of the hops. I used 5 ounces of priming and bottled mine just like beer. Mine took a little longer than beer to became fully carbed but I don't like green Apfelwein so that was fine with me.

It is fine, but while skunking won't happen, light does affect wines and ciders. It will slowly strip the color and flavor from the brew. This isn't a major concern, but its best to at least keep clear bottles out of direct sunlight. In the end, no worries and enjoy your brew.

one good thing to use the corona bottles for i have a couple cases of. i use them to bottle my cider. i use the boxes to box it back up and all nice and good. no loss of flavor color or taste ;-)

Back