A peanut butter porter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aclay

Reaction score
Found some info regarding peanut butter as well as a recipe for a pb porter. I'm not to the all grain stage of my brewing carreer yet so one of you guys will have to try this. The recipe is not mine, but I found it and I'm sharing it with you. I asked about Peanut Butter on another forum and this is what I got. Have fun with it.

De-oiling peanut butter

Buy a jar of natural peanut butter (the kind without stabilizers that has an inch of oil floating on top).

Poor out the oil and leave the jar on its side on a counter. Every day or 2 open the jar and poor out the oil that has collected, and stir the peanut butter together.

After 5-6 weeks the peanut butter should be very crumbly and oil will no longer be rising out. That’s when it’s ready to use.

Ingredients:
8lbs 2-row malt
1lb Crystal 60L
8oz Black Malt
10oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Roast Barley
(To make an extract version, replace the 2-row with 4-5lbs of pale liquid malt)

2oz Fuggle Hop Pellets AA 4.4% (about 9 HBUs)
6oz de-oiled peanut butter (see the bottom)

Do an infusion mash at 154 for 60 minutes, raise to 170 to end enzyme conversion and sparge the grain.

Boil for 60 minutes.
Add 1oz Fuggle and 4oz de-oiled peanut butter at the start of the boil.

Add 1/2oz Fuggle and 2oz peanut butter at 30 minutes

Add 1/2oz Fuggle and Irish Moss after 45 minutes

Cool and transfer to a fermenter for a week.

My ale yeast died on me so I ended up using Oktoberfest lager at ale temperatures - this worked surprisingly well, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Any regular ale yeast should work fine for this.

Rack to a secondary; be careful not to rack any oil that may have floated to the top of the beer. Leave in the secondary 5-7 days, re-rack ever 2 days after that until you no longer have oil on the surface (you shouldn’t have an oil after the first rack, but it depends on how good a job you did de-oiling the peanut butter).

If it turned out well feel free to post in the Recipe section as well.

Latest posts

Back