Abita Turbodog clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
brewsmith asked me for a clone of Abita's Turbodog, so i figured i'd post in case anyone else wants it. this was in BYO Jan-Feb 2004 issue, Mardi Gras brews:
Abita Turbodog
(5 gallons/19 L, extract w/ grains)
OG=1.054 FG=1.014, IBU=32-34

5 lbs Muntons unhopped light dry malt extract
1.25 lbs crystal malt (Schreier crsytal 100 or Muntons crystal dark)
0.5 lbs chocolate malt
7 aau's Chinook Hops (0.6 oz of 12% aa)
5 aau's Willamette Hops (1.25 oz of 4% aa)
6 aau's Willamette Hops (1.5 oz of 4% aa)
White Labs WLPOO4 Irish Ale or Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
3/4 cup corn sugar or 1 cup dme for

Heat specialty grain in 2.5 gallons of water at 152 degrees for 45 minutes. remove grain, add dry malt extract, bring to a boil abnd add 1 oz chinook hops.
boil for 85 minutes and add 1.25 oz willamette hops. boil 5 minutes and remove from heat for a rest, then add 1.5 oz willamette hops. boil 5 minutes and remove from heat, and allow to rest for 15 minutes. bring up to 5.25 gallons whith chilled, pre-boiled water.
cool to 60 degrees, add yeast, aerate and let ferment for 5-6 days at 55-58 degrees, or at the lower end of your yeast manufacturers recomendation. cool to around 45 and age for one week before racking into bottles or kegs.
all-grain option:
cut out DMEand use 7.5 lbs pale malt. heat 2.5 g of water to 160 in a brew pot and slowly mix in milled malt. hold at 152 for 45 minutes, then heat thick mash to 172 and hold for 5 minutes. transfer to lauter unit and run-off first wort (should be about 1.070). sparge w/ 3.75 g of water at 172. bring wort to boil and proceed as above.

kinda of a different hop schedule, but Turbodog has a unique, awesome flavor. if no one's had it, check it out, www.abita.com. :cool:

Now that's an awesome name for a brew.

Would that be a porter of sorts? Their web site simply calls it a "dark brown ale".

well, it's kinda hard to put a finger on. it kinda grabs ya by da booboo!

it looks like a porter, but different body and hop pressence. damn fine quafing brew!

wanna do a trade, and i'll send you some?

Yeah, turbo dog is great. Definitely not a porter It more fits in with pale ale, though maybe not as hoppy. DeRoux's right, it's hard to describe.

Unfortunately, it's not available in OK anymore, fortunately, I brew!

Deroux, you don't happen to have purple haze recipe do ya? My wife would be very happy, which means I'd be very happy!

thanks for the recipe. It's kinda like a dark brown ale, with hints of chocolate like a porter, but hopped like a good american pale ale.

brewsmith said:
thanks for the recipe. It's kinda like a dark brown ale, with hints of chocolate like a porter, but hopped like a good american pale ale.

that's a very good interpritation of it. it's been a while sincei had one, and we went to Pappadeaux's last night for dinner, and they were out. had to settle for an Abita Amber :(

i don't think i have one for the Purple Haze. my wife love's it too! i'll dig around and see to make sure....

I found a place that sells turbodog here! :) I don't have go to Louisiana or Texas to find it.:D

El Pistolero said:
Crawfish...sorry, forgot to translate from Okie to cajun. ;)

so, do you mean just boiled crawfish? not trying to be a SA, but just thought i may have missed something new to eat!:cross:

brewsmith said:
I found a place that sells turbodog here! :) I don't have go to Louisiana or Texas to find it.:D

when ever your ready for another swap, i'm ready! they have a good supply of Real Ale back, and i could use some more left coast ales :D

DeRoux's Broux said:
so, do you mean just boiled crawfish? not trying to be a SA, but just thought i may have missed something new to eat!:cross:
Geez, it just dawned on me I was thinking of Atchafalaya's, not Papadueax. :eek: They have BBQ crawfish...it's a great big plate of shucked mud bugs, cooked in BBQ/chili type spices. Best bugs I've ever had, just the wrong restaurant...and to think, I wasn't even drunk when I made that first post...a situation which I've since corrected. :drunk:

hhmm? that's a new twist! is that the one on the 610 loop, right before 290 headed west?

ever been to the Rajun Cajun on Richmond? damn good place for oyster po' boys, cold abita, and even pretty good crawfish. but, as a cajun, it's punishable by death to eat crawfish out! ;~)

billybrew said:
I guess I need to get out of Oklahoma more often, I thought everyone called them crawdaddies.

mudbugs or crawfish here on the TX/LA Gulf coast! :D aaaahhhh---iiiiieeee!

drinking a turbodog right now...a turbodog clone is definitely going into my brew queue... has anyone made this recipe (extract version) -- and how does it compare to the real turbodog?

Did anyone else ever brew this up? I love TD.....I know on the bottle though, it says that it is dry hopped with Willamette.

I went on a bachelor's party with a buddy of mine way up in York, PA last year. And son of a biznatch, if they didn't have Turbodog on tap!

In Pennsylvania.

York... Pennsylvania.

I kind of geeked out when I saw it. Not so much because I'm a huge fan of Turbodog, but because my Cajun senses began tingling. That and I had finished an RIS and an IIPA at this point. Jesus, I can't remember the end of that evening!

I think you might wanna dry hop it with Willamette to give it more "authentic" characteristic. This is their statement on the back of the bottle:

"Abita's Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with a combination of pale, crystal and chocolate malts, dry hopped with the finest Willamette hops, and fermented using a unique German ale yeast."

I'd change the yeast to a Kolsch. and do about .5oz(ish) of dry hopping.

-2 cents

I love Turbodog and will be brewing this soon but I've never done an Alt style before. What are the fermentation times & temps associated with this beer/yeast?

Funny, I just get an email notification as I'm kegging this!

It's good (I used WLP029 yeast) but I'm not convinced of its complexity just yet, compared to the original.

Anyone else brew it?

I’ve brewed this a few times, always with a different result. last batch was entirely too bitter. my bad though, didn’t calculate the hop additions right. I;m gonna use the Big Brew Day recipe to try and recreate it as well! I always use wlp029, but have never dry hopped it. never came close to the original!!

My first batch of this recipe was brewed ('scuse me, "brouxed") Thursday. Did an AG version, was a bit short on base malt, only 7 lb. 4 oz., so I threw in 4 oz. of Carapils. Also did not do the same mash procedure, just did a rather thin mash at 152F for 60 min, then a single sparge, yielding 6.5 gal, which I boiled for a bit over an hour. Had the Willamette, but only thought I had Chinook, so I substituted the 12%AA with an ounce of Tettnang and an ounce of Cascade. Since those are in there for the full boil, I figure it'll work.

The other big difference was that I used an Alt yeast as prescribed by Abita (Wyeast 1007), and it tore through that wort faster than I've ever seen yeast go- pitched Thursday at 1100, airlock was going guns Friday at 0500, only a bubble every 10 seconds by this morning about 0900.

I have high hopes for this one....and if it doesn't pan out, I may be done with brown ales.

Fyi, you can brew it just cloned turbodog. Check it out on the brewing network.

Recipe is approx:
12 lbs American pale malt
12 oz crystal 90
8 oz British chocholate malt

.5 oz Apollo 60 min
.20 oz Willamette 30 min
.1 oz Willamette 10 min

Wyeast 1070 ferments at 60 degrees.
Mash at 152

D aaaahhhh---iiiiieeee!

:confused: You meant Ai-yee ! ! ! Right??

Atleast the Okey didn't say crayfish ! Just messin'. I have DME extract recipe for Abita Amber (except you're suppose to use Vienna Lager yeast, but I cheated with a CA Ale yeast and still came out on point), another one of my favorite beers unless you're talkin' about Mardi Gras Bock. I've tried to do Purple Haze, but Abita actually back sweetens with a Raspberry Puree instead of upfront like what I did.

I will have to try this.. I know with Abita Amber they actually use Perle Hops and usually if they mention german hops it's actually Perle that they use.

Fyi, you can brew it just cloned turbodog. Check it out on the brewing network.

Recipe is approx:
12 lbs American pale malt
12 oz crystal 90
8 oz British chocholate malt

.5 oz Apollo 60 min
.20 oz Willamette 30 min
.1 oz Willamette 10 min

Wyeast 1070 ferments at 60 degrees.
Mash at 152

Has anyone brewed this yet? Love me some turbo dog! Turbo dog on nitro would probably be fantastic. Anyone thing you could do a black IPA out of the grist?

2/3 of a bbl today. Should b ready for the 4th.

1433009615358908530917.jpg

Back