Dropped Wood into boiling wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricS

Reaction score
While I was boiling my wort for my Belgian this weekend I noticed I was about to have a boil over and my piece of wood that holds the string for the hops bag out of the wort had moved and dropped into the wort. At most I am guessing it was in there for no longer than 1-2 minutes. Is this going to have any effect on the brew?:eek:

Don't worry about it it should have no effect. I would only worry if it is plywood or some sort of chemical or pressure treated lumber.

Gamehenge said:
While I was boiling my wort for my Belgian this weekend I noticed I was about to have a boil over and my piece of wood that holds the string for the hops bag out of the wort had moved and dropped into the wort. At most I am guessing it was in there for no longer than 1-2 minutes. Is this going to have any effect on the brew?:eek:

Nope, unless there's something you haven't told us about the wood. Many of us use wooden paddles to stir our wort.

I always try to keep my wood out of the wort-it hurts too much. Once it has cooled though, you're fine.
/smartazz

cheezydemon said:
Not to be an alarmist, but treated lumber is incredibly toxic.

Not treated lumber for my paddle. Bought a piece of oak and cut it out myself. Yeah, I know that the oak is glued together (it's a 4x8 piece originally) but I've seen several commercial paddles made out of the same material selling for a lot more than I bought mine.

Right on Cheese, I meant his piece of wood might concieveably have been a scrap of treated, not your paddle. Does your paddle impart any oak flavor? lol that might be kind of cool. Maybe soak your paddle in bourbon the night before a brew.
By the way that tub girl thing is some seriously twisted s**t.

Actually it is from a bundle of wood they give you when you purchase firewood to use as a starter. I believe it is not treated.

If you got it for firewood then it would not be treated lumber. If you burn treated don't be anywhere near it, I know the older stuff gave off arsenic, not sure what the newer treated lumber has in it, but I know I don't want to breath it.

All that to say, you are just fine, it was boiling wortso the wood got sanitized and the beer will be fine, some people even age in wood barrels (or throw wood in the secondary) to get some flavors.

Throwing your wood into the secondary can create problems. Ensure your wood is sanitized thoroughly prior to insertion and also make sure your wood fits through the bung hole. Avoid all lubrication when possible. ;)

- WW

I would only worry if it was either treated or had dog poo on it. If not, I'm sure you'll be fine :D

No dog poo here, at least so I think. I guess I will just have to name the beer "2 Minute Wood" or something along those lines.

Gamehenge said:
No dog poo here, at least so I think. I guess I will just have to name the beer "2 Minute Wood" or something along those lines.

Haha. What time of day were you brewing? Could you name it "morning wood"?

*knuckes blistering*

YES, that's it. Why didn't I think of that? It was in the morning. Great name I just might have to use that if you don't mind.

Back