Looking for bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sefrayser

Reaction score
Just wondering where I can get some bootlegs for my next batch? I can get them from my local brew shop but they are quite a ways from me. Do any chain stores carry them?

I've got bottles from a few of the local beer distributors. It can't hurt to ask. Only one place ever charged me for them, and it wasn't much, only a couple bucks. I live in PA where beer isn't allowed to be sold in stores, gas stations, etc., so beer distributors are plentiful here.

The vast majority of my bottles came from sampling different microbrews. This is the more expensive way to do it, but it's a great way to try new beer.

Yes I have been saving my bottles but they are twist offs. Once I get a good stock I will be ok. It's just getting the stock I need. I have a batch that I need to bottle and I don't havre enough bottles. I'm sure I will loose some along the way. I think when my friends want to try I will do full bottle for an empty bottle. I think that's fair enough

Recycling centers, friends, sometimes bars (though BMC is usually twist off), Sam Adams was my go to for a while, family and friends.
Heck, try your neighbors, promise them a bottle of brew if they bring you a few, people are always happy to help out. Just be sure to clean them out well, as most people do not rinse bottles out after use.

Also, check craigs list. Many Homebrewers are bottle hoarders and will be happy to part with a few cases (post a seeking ad, and look for ones that people are offering).

I went on Craigslist and just missed out on 2 cases for $14 so that could be an avenue to try. Also of course is keeping your empty pop tops. I've heard mixed reviews when it comes to screw off bottles so be cautious.

Yes I have been saving my bottles but they are twist offs. Once I get a good stock I will be ok. It's just getting the stock I need. I have a batch that I need to bottle and I don't havre enough bottles. I'm sure I will loose some along the way. I think when my friends want to try I will do full bottle for an empty bottle. I think that's fair enough

DO NOT USE TWIST OFF BOTTLES ! ! ! that being said, this is why, some if not most of them will leak depending on your capper.

You can get bottles for free from most bars if you don't mind cleaning them,
just go to any bar before they get busy and ask the manager and most likely you will have more bottles than you will know what to do with them.

Or buy beers with pop tops and start saving, thats what I did.

Cheers :mug:

There's curbside recycling where I live so I just walk the dog the night before it get's picked up with a bag. Now I know who drinks what. Lately I've even scored some gallon jugs for small batches and 1.5l Magnum champagne bottles.

If you have any decent bars that serve craft beer, try calling them and asking to pay deposit for some empties. That's how I got my bottles, and can get 350ml, 550ml and sometimes 750ml.

Back