Broke the barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibby33

Reaction score
I have been very slack. Very. Not proud of it!

One month ago I racked my chocolate porter into secondary. Did not clean out primary barrel (Plastic). Three inches of gunk. Opened the lid yesterday and got a face full of vinegar fumes.

...should I throw out the barrel?

Eeeeeyuuuuu. I bet that was nasty tub girl stuff. You could take it outside, hose it down, go with a couple hot soaks with a cup of oxyclean each time and it should be good as new provided you don't scratch it.

Shame. Bad dibby!

Don't throw it out yet....

Give it a soak in some oxyclean or bleach and see how it goes.

No reason to trash it if you can clean it

AND DON'T BE SO LAZY! jk :ban:

Yeup. Hands up. Lazy.
I did not want to empty it in the garden as it was basically chocolate fat and I did not want to attract too much of the local wildlife. I shall empty it down the toilet tonight and then fill it full of cleanser at a high concentrate.

Oh for god's sake, throw it away unless you're having trouble meeting the family's food budget. Your time is worth something and the bucket is compromised. Lazy, drunken, *******.:D

If this were to happen to me, I would approach a bakery or store that uses similar bulk food items in retail sales. You can get really good food grade plastic for cheap. Gotta drill your own lock hole, but the price is right.

Just a contingency plan in my case mind you.

Oh but dibby, if you throw it out you'll miss out on seeing the thousands upon thousands of fruit fly corpses that float out of the muck.

No fruit flies. Too cold here for that I think.

If I remember I will try and take a photo. ...off for a few *cough* cleansing ales tonight. Away to a British Pub which should be interesting. ...how well does beer travel 14,000 miles?

Autolysis DOES happen. I cleaned and sanitized a plastic bucket that sat out on the back porch for too long.

Back