Co2 line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeprock2

Reaction score
I am new to kegging and just got my used cornys cleaned out. I was wondering if you can get the gas/air line that goes from the regular to keg from Home Depot or Lowes. I believe it needs to be a 5/16 air line. I dont have a LHBS near me and didnt think to buy it online when I bought my other keg stuff. I was looking to start kegging this week!

I never checked Home Depot but I think they would my small local hardware store sells it so the big box stores should too.

I know Menards does, and I would assume Home Depot and Lowes would as well.

Just make sure you don't get your beer line from here unless it is specified food grade.

You want the CO2 line to be double wall. I would just put together an order from one of the suppliers, like Keg Connection, and order up what you need (plus a healthy amount extra). I ordered enough, in the past, that I have plenty on hand for other things. I also have more beer line on hand, for either when I need to change the lines from keg to tap/faucet, or to use with other things. IMO, better to have more than you need than not enough. Also better to get the correct item than try to Mickey Mouse it with something not up to the task. You end up spending MORE that way, since you'll end up getting the correct stuff later, after tossing out the other (wasted $$).

Yes, you can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes. The size will depend on what size barbs you have, but 1/4" ID and 5/16" ID are the most common. I'd suggest getting the thicker walled nylon braid reinforced, looks like this-

410MAflkCDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yes, you can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes. The size will depend on what size barbs you have, but 1/4" ID and 5/16" ID are the most common. I'd suggest getting the thicker walled nylon braid reinforced, looks like this-

410MAflkCDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I tried those types of lines in my brew fridge the first run through. My GOD do I hate them. IME/IMO, far too stiff to be used at beer chilled temperatures (35-45F). Total PITA if you don't have gobs of room where you have the kegs. I now avoid using that type at all costs.

I use the red hose from Keg Connection for all my gas lines. At $0.59 per foot, it's pretty damned cheap too.

High pressure Tygon. Stays flexible in my keezer, makes pretty tight bends but doesn't "set". And as it's clear, if you have an over-filled keg on a stuck check-valve which allows some beer to burp back up the gas line, you can actually see it and fix the problem. Can't do that with red gas line.

Good stuff, perhaps a bit on the pricey side, but how often does one replace their gas lines?

Cheers!

I like to have 'spare' length on hand in case I decide to use it for something. Came in handy when I started making the portable kegorator. If I score a chest freezer, I won't need to go out and get any CO2 line (or beer line either).

I never got into the boy scouts, but I'm more often prepared than not. :D

I use the red air hose, like they have at the auto parts store for air compressors. It works great!

We sell this at work, its perfect for CO2. Its overkill since most people will never turn their regulator over ~30psi, but it will last just about forever and it is cheap enough.

You can use plain old single wall vinyl. I use 1/4" clear from my local hardware store. It's rated over 50 psi. I never go above 30 psi so I think it's more than adequate.

Back