Big beer fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
I brewed a 1.096 on Friday and pitched it onto a slurry from a previous batch I did about 2.5 weeks ago. Fermentation took off and Krausen was in full bloom within about 6 hours (kruasen was hitting the opening of a 6.5g fermentor and I only had 3.5 gal in a carboy (I split a 7g batch into two carboys).
Anyways, by Sunday morning the airlock activity was already tremendously slowing down and I don't want it to die out on me and highly doubt it would be close to being done this soon. Am I just fretting over nothing?
I used WLP 0013 London Ale Yeast
Pitched at 66, let it stay around 68 until around Sunday AM and then let it go up to 70 at which I'm holding it there now.
I've been swirling the fermentors about 2-3 days daily just slightly to try and keep the yeast roused.
I haven't taken a reading yet.
This was an extract batch with 93% extract, the rest specialty malts.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Take a reading - I think you'll be surprised. With a large, healthy pitch, fermentation can happen very fast.

Agreed with the other posters. Nothing to worry about. If it does stall it's likely that the extract contains too much in fermentable sugars, or the "medium" alcohol tolerant yeast couldn't stand the environment. Nothing to do now, just wait.

Should I continue to swirl it around abit? I don't want to oxygenate the beer too much obviously.
Thanks for suggestions

Step away from the fermenter......

Let the yeast do it's job. You have fermentation, and you pitched plenty of yeast. You are more likely to cause problem by trying to fix a problem that you do not know you have. Give it a couple of weeks and check the gravity.

Should I continue to swirl it around abit? I don't want to oxygenate the beer too much obviously.
Thanks for suggestions

As long as you are not removing the airlock or opening the vessel when you swirl you will not oxidize the beer. Just leave it alone for at least a week and then take a reading. The yeast know how to make beer and really don't need your help:)

If the beer gets down to 1.020 or so, don't worry, it's a typical occurrence with extract since there are a percentage of less fermentable specialty grains in the extract.:mug:

Back