Hurricane Sandy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck everyone. I actually work for FEMA but over on the west coast. Their not messing around and there are a ton or resources being funneled to the east coast for response and recovery right now. There's also a bunch of interagency coordination with the army and the guards. Good luck and stay safe!

The low-lying part of my neighborhood was just ordered to evacuate (presumably for flooding). My neighborhood is right on a stream that's literally a few hundred yards from the Potomac. With rain + surge, I figured it was a matter of time, as it tends to flood during less-severe storms. Fortunately a) my building is on slightly higher ground and b) I'm on the 14th floor anyway.

Saw this quote.

"It could be bad," said U.S. Coast Guard Rear Adm. Steven Rattior, "or it could be devastation."

If the best hope is "It could be bad". Hang on to your ass.

I'm in Manhattan, but haven't started working yet. The wind is raging bad. No updates on that crane, but if it topples off the building there could be problems. We're expecting to flood here tonight.

Airborneguy said:
I'm in Manhattan, but haven't started working yet. The wind is raging bad. No updates on that crane, but if it topples off the building there could be problems. We're expecting to flood here tonight.

Lower manhattan is long overdue for some flooding. Hope it doesn't get the White Horse Tavern on bridge street, or I will have to find another place to meet my buddy for lunch once a month.

I watched a Discovery channel show about a hurricane hitting manhattan at high tide. The outcome was not pretty.

Its getting hairy in Queens right now. I havent left the house but it feels about as bad as Irene did, except for the HOWLING of the wind.

I haven't read through this whole thread, but just checking in from Federal Hill Baltimore, so far things around here look pretty good (at least we're on a hill). Best wishes to anyone getting hit hard. And good luck and thankyou to any first responders/utility company personnel.

On a lighter note, it's a good time for a hurricane homebrew.

ForumRunner_20121029_183044.jpg

I haven't read through this whole thread, but just checking in from Federal Hill Baltimore, so far things around here look pretty good (at least we're on a hill). Best wishes to anyone getting hit hard. And good luck and thankyou to any first responders/utility company personnel.

On a lighter note, it's a good time for a hurricane homebrew.

Woodlawn is just wet. I live in Nottingham, and the wife says it is still decent there.

Looks like I picked the wrong time to buy a camera that would be shipped through Jersey City. It might be awhile!

Good luck to everyone on the east coast. It looks bad. :(

Stay safe Airborne. I mean it, let us know if you need to come out to Astoria. Its not half as bad as that...

the truly messed up thing is when I cracked a window to equalize pressure, the air that came in felt like a pleasant warm breeze.

This is some weird mess.

I'm a New Yorker, one of the reasons we live here is the lack of hurricanes and earthquakes. Yup, not anymore apparently. Now I just stay for the food and the female pedestrians's summer attire.

Power has been out for 3.5 hrs here in North Kingstown, RI. Got the generator cranking since there is almost no rain. Cable actually didnt go out so we are still getting our news.

More importantly, I got my Fire Rock clone brewed on Sat and my little yeasties are bubbling away! :)

So far so good here in Attleboro, MA. Spent the day with the kids playing various board/card games and recording barometric pressure data and weather conditions (can't pass up a chance for a good science lesson!) Even managed to brew up my own interpretation of Brandon O's Graff (~1/3 beer wort and ~2/3 cider).

Good luck to everyone out there. Stay safe.

JLem said:
So far so good here in Attleboro, MA. Spent the day with the kids playing various board/card games and recording barometric pressure data and weather conditions (can't pass up a chance for a good science lesson!) Even managed to brew up my own interpretation of Brandon O's Graff (~1/3 beer wort and ~2/3 cider).

Good luck to everyone out there. Stay safe.

NBC news just reported its the lowest barometric pressure ever recorded in the hemisphere?

I just used my C02 set up to blow up my air mattress... I also have 15+ gallons of water in carrots... suck it sandy

So much for, "Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

My wife works for the Post Office in Ringoes, NJ.

They sent everyone home.

Sorry, no mail folks!

No worries--I think my mailbox might have gotten hit by that tree that fell.

Not much here in NECT to report. A lot of wind and rain. However no flooding

Sleeping in my own bed tonight, winds were so bad here we had to restore outages in our area! Headed north first thing tomorrow...hope you all are safe!

Waters are starting to recede in Manhattan. Wind is still gusting hard occasionally. Lots of people ignored the warnings. At least 5 dead so far and I'm sure it will be more.

I'm a Lineman, We're usually there before the storm hits but this time we had to make sure our local area was all cleared up before we were released!

SUPERSTORM SANDY UPDATE--- The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey posting this picture, showing flood waters rushing in to the Hoboken PATH station through an elevator shaft.

Oh Damm.jpg

TowsonTiger22 said:
You sir, are about to get it hard. Rough and hard.

I live off Bel Aire Rd, just inside the beltway. Keep the water down there with you.

My cousin is a bel aire officer. Behave yourself ;)

Lots of rain and some wind in central VA. Best of luck to those of you in the direct path.

I'm in Bergenfield, just over the GWB from Manhattan. We're not getting a whole lot in the way of rain, but the wind is still crazy fierce. I can't imagine what daybreak is going to bring along the shore areas.

Oddly, my work place in manhattan claims to be "open for business" tomorrow. Not sure how that's gonna work, what with there being no way to get there and no way to get around even if you could get there.

Back