Infection or krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
Checked my RIS gravity today and found this. When I checked a week ago it wasn't there. I did rouse the yeast and raise the temp to around 70 since then and gravity dropped 2 points. What do you all think? If it could be an infection should I skim it off?

image-464028239.jpg

Considering it's the same color as the krausen that fell off your walls there, I'd say it's just krausen. How often are you checking it? Pitch and let sit for three weeks minimum, then take a peek. Bet you'll (almost)never see that again. You keep opening it up, you're asking for an infection.

I've only opened it twice, once a week ago and once today, but I was thinking the same thing.

It's been about 3.5 weeks since I brewed it, but I bet with rousing the yeast and raising the temp some extra krau popped up.

I've only opened it twice, once a week ago and once today, but I was thinking the same thing.

It's been about 3.5 weeks since I brewed it, but I bet with rousing the yeast and raising the temp some extra krau popped up.

O ok, have you taken hydrometer readings too? Any change in FG?

If it's sat for three weeks Id rack it and be done then wait another couple and bottle/keg or at this point bottle or keg it.

That's krausen leftovers. My 1st PM looked something like that this morning...with most of the yeast in clumps with it on day 2. I think the grains from the mash (the silty stuff) make that discoloration. From what I've seen thus far anyway.

Just make sure to check that you have a stable FG before doing anything. The curious part is that you didn't have the krausen a week ago, and now you do.

Looks like krausen, but it's a little blurry to really say. Is it filmy? If you put your thief/siphon in it does it crack like grease that was refrigerated?

That film intermingled with the krausen rafts is from the hop oils (lupulins). Very common. Yeast krausen leftovers can be stubborn sometimes. Nothing to worry about. I saw that on mine this morning,day two. By the time I went to the lhbs & had lunch,the yeast rafts had dropped & the krausen got a bit thicker. But mine had a re-hydration problem 2 days ago. Yours is just being stubborn,with some lil bits of yeast being stirred up by dissolved co2 & krausen bubbles.

Pretty close to how my APA looked, I racked out from under it to my bottling bucket and it is now a wonderfully delicious brew.
I think I'll have another :mug:

Thanks guys.

I had a feeling that was the case but wanted to consult the wisdom of the community to be sure.

I'm going to give it another week in primary (4.5 weeks total) then rack to secondary and add coffee.

One more question. Now that it's been 3.5 weeks since primary started, I shouldn't be worried too much about the ambient temp fluctuating between 68F-72F, should I?

Thanks again

No,temps are most critical during initial fermentation. But keep it in reasonable range just the same. I like to try doing that just to be thorough.

Back