Anyone use mini-kegs or 1gallon kegs with a beer engine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmarshall

Reaction score
I've searched for info on this both on here and google and come up with a few leads, but most of them a year or two old at least. I've only bottled in the past, but I recently went on a trip to Scotland and fell in love with cask-conditioned ales. I think the creaminess is what did it. I've found some really cool DIY beer engines on here, but I don't go through my homebrew all that fast, so I would worry about spoilage with 5gallon or 2.5 gallon kegs. However, I could see myself going through a gallon in a weekend.

Anyway, my question is, has anyone on here come up with a small keg (1 gallon or so) system with a beer engine? If so, what kind of kegs do you use and from where are they sourced? I've seen these mini-keg things for pretty cheap (the 5 liter things from germany) and they are intriguing for this. I've noticed they have some sort of rubber stopper in the top. Has anyone come up with a fitting system or something that would allow a DIY beer engine to be fit? What I am really looking for is to be able to run through a sparkler to get that nice creaminess and long lasting head, so pouring out of the regular spout wouldn't really help me.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back