#$^%$^ tornadoes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
So, you may have heard about the tornadoes that left a swath of destruction in Manitoba Saturday morning. Wait till the news catches up. Saturday had nothing on Sunday. I didn't get hit by a tornado, but I'm hurting from the aftermath. There won't be any new brew equipment in my future for a little while.

F*&k

Last night we had at least one F4. The news is still coming in, but it looks like there isn't going to be any loss of life.

I guess I shouldn't whine in light of all the destroyed property, but losing power under torrential downpours filled my basement to four inches. No power, no sump pump. We're doing renovations on the house and the basement was storage for all the displaced items in the house. It was full of furniture and boxes. We have to tear out the finished basement and throw out most of what was down there.

Sorry to hear about all your problems, I know all us would love to help you out if you weren't so far away. And I am really glad no one was hurt.

I didn't hear anything about this- we were camping all weekend. Geez, I'm sorry about your situation. That sucks. Thank God you and your friends weren't hurt. I'm shocked that you guys got hit so hard.

Oh man Fingers, I'm so sorry bro. :( Living in Illinois I've seen more of these than I'd care to, but the worst was when one dropped a HUGE cottonwood tree across my garage, (no vehicle inside) and ravaged the roof, some windows and some siding...

What really sucked was we had just closed on the house 7 days prior, my SWMBO at the time was 8 months along with my eldest and we weren't even moved in yet. :drunk:

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss and the mess. If you need anything you know who to call. :rockin: You guys are in our thoughts.

Ize

Sorry to hear about the storm and its effects on your family and home. I saw some of the coverage here on the CBC news. Really sorry man.

That sucks. Come and live in Tasmania. The worst we have here is a bit of cold weather in the winter, oh and forest fires, snakes, spiders, and mad locals

Just to be factually correct, we had the F4 or perhaps F5 on FRIDAY night. Last night the highest was an F3 but it hit more property. They are forecasting another round of tornadoes for my area again tonight so I guess we'll see.

I moved to Manitoba when I was 17 so I've been here for 25 years and I've never seen tornadoes like this. We had some last year too. Global warming seems to be ramping up these sort of episodes. I kind of like the longer summers though.

Thanks for all the good wishes people. We will do a damage assessment tomorrow and maybe things won't be as bad. I think what really pisses me off is that I'll have to cancel my brother's visit at the beginning of July. I was supposed to finish some major renos so we could enjoy the new bar. We should be able to squeeze in a round of golf, but no overnighter at Fingers' house.

oh sorry to hear dude. I guess the good news is you won't be bored for a bit continuing to work on stuff around the house, but I'm sure you'd like to be doing other things instead.

you never know, the insurance on it could not only pay for the stuff you lost in the flooding basement but also just a bit extra for a nice SS conical!

We've been getting more and more extreme weather here. Two years ago they cranked up the premiums for flooding because of it. At the time I had several rental properties and I couldn't afford the extra premiums so I had to decline on all of them. I protected ourselves by enhancing our ability to prevent water incursions. Of course all my measures require electric power. Loss of power and three months of monsoons (on the prairies with no mountains or oceans) were not anticipated.

We have no coverage for this. It's been a long day and there's no end in site. On a brighter note, she hasn't cried for at least six hours now....

Flooded basements are a royal pain! As a kid in Illinois, we couldn't leave anything less than 18" from the basement floor. It flooded every time we had a major storm.

Back