Airlock alternatives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snaps10

Reaction score
I'm starting an Apfelwein today and was going to use a 5gal carboy I borrowed form a friend. I don't have any bungs that will fit it, and quite frankly, don't want to go to the hassle of running around town looking for a rubber stopper that will fit and drilling it out. I've heard of people just putting foil around the top, or using a balloon with a little hole in it. Will this work? $2 is $2!

Do you have the plastic white cap? Punch a hole in it, feed a hose into it, and run it into a bucket with some water or vodka in it.

Foil over the opening will be fine for now. Once fermentation starts, everything moves out of the fermenter and the CO2 blanket protects the cider/wine.

Once fermentation is over, the foil will not be adequate, and you will need a decent seal.

Just get some 1" id tubing. Fits inside the carboy neck perfectly. Instant blowoff tube.
Thanks, but that would be more than the price of the rubber bung. :)

I'm going to just cover it with foil. Thanks all.

Get a balloon over the mouth of the carboy, and poke a tiny hole in it with a needle. The fermentation will partially inflate the balloon, just enough to cause equilibrium with the gas escaping from the pinhole.

It's not ideal, but it'll do in a pinch.

Get a balloon over the mouth of the carboy, and poke a tiny hole in it with a needle. The fermentation will partially inflate the balloon, just enough to cause equilibrium with the gas escaping from the pinhole.

It's not ideal, but it'll do in a pinch.

This doesn't really work, because the second the pressure drops the balloon allows air to be sucked back in.

If you use a balloon, just dont poke it. If it becomes too inflated, let out some pressure. You can see this is just a 1 gallon batch though and I had to use a huge balloon (around 1992 before I knew there were airlocks). Best bet is to buy an airlock.

picture-4.jpg

you can use aluminum foil. as long as fermentation continues you will have positive pressure pushing outside air away. As it ends the CO2 will escape for a day or so. The problem with this is once active fermentation ends you have to bottle immediately or the air can get in and oxidize it.

The airlocks I've got and abundance of. Bungs for the carboys, or a place to buy them though, I didn't. I just didn't want to buy one for a carboy that I'm not going to keep, but I ended up finding a 6.5 rubber stopper, making it smaller with my dremel, and drilling it out. I had some down time this morning, so I figured, what the heck.

I am that cheap, I know I am, I've come to accept it.

Back