Age and aged...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knipknup

Bloody John Roberts
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So that one culteral thread made me want to rant... (or maybe just mope...)

Classic rock is the stuff from the late 60's and through the mid 70's. It is NOT stuff in the 80's.

80's music was great then but it ain't classic rock now...

Classic rock needs a new name to adequately describe it (I'm talking Zepplin, Deep Purple, Lynard Skinnard, etc.).

What is the best and most descriptive name it can have since classic rock rolls with the ages?

Music pre-80's was the best... :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

How about Geezer Rock?

Don't get me wrong, I'm that age too and I like that era of music, but it's still Geezer Rock. But good stuff.

Classic Rock is Classic Rock. We shouldn't change the name of it just because others misuse it for other music. Let them change the name of the post-classic rock stuff they play.

desiderata said:
Classic Rock is Classic Rock. We shouldn't change the name of it just because others misuse it for other music. Let them change the name of the post-classic rock stuff they play.

Yeah, maybe they should name the 80's stuff "post good ****". :drunk: Do you have any idea how may times I had to correct that?...

I think classic just kind of refers to a music, song, band that becomes timeless; noth that it necessarily refers to The Band, Floyd, or Led Zep. I'm ok with using the term more flexibly. I grew up on 60s-70s music, but I'm no purist to the name. My fiancee hates hearing Nirvana on the Classic Rock stations. HA!

When I want to listen to Classic Rock, the earliest I want to hear is Tommy James and the Shondells. The latest I want to hear is Led Zepplin and Queen.

I sooo agree with you knipknup. One of the classic rock stations here played an hour of "songs from 1982". Freaking 1982! They were playing Asia. I was extremely pissed. Now they are playing Bon Jovi and **** like that.

I've switched to the "oldies" station. They've moved up to the 60's.

Problem is that no one has thought of a good term for post-alternative music. Maybe we need Classic Alternative to allow for new alternative to grow with respect for the Seattle scene of the early to mid 90's.

The real reason we don't want newer music to be called classic rock is because it makes us feel that much older.

Like songs that I listened to in High School are being re-made.

Music from the early 90's forward can't really be stapled by its time period. But 80's music is 80's music and classic rock is 60's 70's rock and roll. Anyone who puts Nirvana in a classic rock genre is a moron. Nirvana is grunge/alternative. Nowadays we have to seperate music by genre more than time-period.

beer4breakfast said:
I grew up with the 60s and 70s rock, and it is true that the 80s is an altogether different era and a different type of rock. There's a lot of good music from the 80s, but it's not:

Thick as a Brick.
Big Tree, Blue Sea
Bridge of Sighs
War Pigs
Fire
L.A. Woman
Smoke on the Water
La Grange
Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Carry On Wayward Son
Dark Side of the Moon
Hotel California
Stairway to Heaven
Me and Bobby McGee
Gallows Pole

and thousands more

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh yeah!!! Sadly, that fine music is no longer being made. I really hope never to hear a remake of Big Tree, Blue Sea, or a rap cover of LA Woman. Man, that list you put up really takes me back.

Back