Safale US-05 is da man!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmfa200

Reaction score
Just wanted to say I love Safale US-05.
Anyone contemplating using this yeast should give it a try.
I tried it because I tend to be cheap, and so is dry yeast.
I've brewed 10 batches now, and the best beer I've brewed was with US-05.
I brewed a batch this weekend pitched US-05 and within 5 hours was getting airlock activity, and 24 hours later was cleaning up the mess it made blowing the hood off my carboy.
I used liquid yeast on all other batches even with starter on a stirplate and haven't made beer as good as with US-05.
Has anyone else had the same experience, or am I just jumping to conclusions?

Dry yeast has come a long way since the days of the "Kit n' kilo" Although I use liquid yeast for beer, I use dry exclusively for ciders. Good stuff...

I always have 05 and 04 in my fridge. They are solid.

If the price on the Safale products were the same as the notty, I think they would replace them as everyone's go to yeast.

Bull

Safale US-05 is a great yeast. My last batch of APA was 5 degrees off (above) for a few days and it still came out good. It's a very forgiving yeast for ipa's and apa's. Go to love it.

US-05 is as close to fool proof as a yeast can get. Ferment very cool with it, and you get a beer that is quite lager-like.

I use it in two of my house brews, Amber Ale and American Wheat.

i really love this yeast, instead of using as a backup yeast, when using liquid yeast, this is my first option for ipas and pale ales,

I just used it with my BM Oktoberfast. I was concerned its attenuation but it turned out great! I have also used it with a few pale ales and had good success. My LHBS sells it for around $3, not too bad.

Back