Looking for an outdoor all-grain burner set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
SWMBO and I will be moving in 6 weeks to a larger house in order to make room for the baby that is due in mid May. Big drawback is that this house has an electric stove and it will not be easy to run a gas line to put a new gas stove. Thus, my brewing needs to move outdoors and I want to know if anyone has recommendations on a solid entry level LP burner set up that I could use outdoors? I have read that some people use turkey fryers but I don't know anyone to directly ask how good these work for brewing. Currently I am using a brew kettle with a maximum volume of 8 gallons which means I fill up to 7 to try to avoid boil overs.

If you have recommendations for (or against) a particular brand I would like to hear them. I have just gotten into all grain brewing this spring and would like to continue that this summer w/o heating up all that water inside the house. Go to keep the SWMBO happy:ban:

Thanks...

Mick

I use a 3 burner camp stove that originally came from Costco. I bought off a co-worker who had purchased it, but then did not end up using it often. The BTUs are not as high as some of the "turkey fryer" type burners that others use. However, it's still much faster than the gas stove in the kitchen. Also the 3 burners allow you to do more than one thing at a time if needed (not often for brewing). And of course it's still a very functional camp stove (comes with a sweet griddle that is the key to optimum camping chefness).

I use this in my driveway and start my boils with up to 7 gallons.

I use a Bayou Classic SP10 for my 15 gallon kettle (~14 gallons pre-boil for 11 gallon batches), and I have a Brinkman burner (I got it on CL for about $30) which works fine for 5 gallon batches, heating sparge water etc. The Brinkman will get the 15 gallon to a boil, it just takes a little longer. Think it is about 45,000 btu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey congrats on the little one on the way Mick. And the new house. I was going to post a link to the one I saw on craigslist new for $30 but it looks like it's gone already. There is one in the Iowa City area for $65 though.

Thanks for the recommedations everyone. Now I will be able to tell my wife what to get me for my birthday later this year. This is the kind of gift that keeps on giving.

cheers...

Mick

Back