I need input on this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would add two more pounds of malt and only one of the other. Two pounds of honey and Corn sugar is too much for me.

Yeah but why

My thinking is that it should ferment out clean and not leave the gravity of malt extract behind

Because it's 6 pounds of extract and 4 pounds of simple sugar. That's a really high % of sugar. A pound or so would be fine, but boosting up the ABV with that much sugar and that little malt wouldn't taste very good.

I wouldn't steep Victory.

Because victory malt is a malt that must be mashed.

Sometimes making a high ABV beer is tricky, and if you don't really know the ingredients and what each bring to the beer, I'd suggest sticking with a "tried and true" recipe. A high ABV beer also has more chances of a stuck fermentation, needs a bigger starter, may have carbonation issues, needs a higher attenuating yeast, etc.

That recipe doesn't look very good to me. It's got an OG of 1.097, but only 43 IBUs? I'd keep looking.

Latest posts

Back