Jamil's West Coast Blaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preiff

Reaction score
I've been getting many of my latest recipes from the book Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil and Palmer. There is a recipe for a hoppy American amber ale called West Coast Blaster. Has anyone tried this style with success? It sounds great to me but I like to know what I'm getting into before I brew some of the more expensive beers. Also, some of what I have found so far have indicated that dry-hopping is a good idea. Any suggestions?

I've made a beer based on that recipe (small modifications to hop choices). It is a large very hoppy beer but a little darker and sweeter than most IPAs. It is said to be an attempt to clone Bear Republic Red Rocket which should give you an idea of the taste. I really enjoyed the beer I made.

So if you like big hoppy beers with a little more malt sweetness then its a good style. If you want what most midwest or even east coast brewers call an Amber Ale this is not the recipe.

Craig

I brewed up something close:

12# 2 row
1# 5 oz crystal 60
1# Munich
8 oz crystal 40
1 oz Chinook @ 60
1 oz Cascade @10min 1 oz Cenntennial @10 min
1 oz Cascade @ 0min 1 oz Cenntennial @ 0 min
1 oz Cenntennial dry hop

S-05 yeast mash 152 ferm temps kept on cool side:

So far so good..

I wanted a big west coast amber like Avery does
OG: 1.064 IBU 55

not quite as big as Jamils but still on high end of amber ales..it really fits into a big hoppy pale ale or IPA with more malt to balance out the IBU's but the sweetness is from crystal and less from Munich...

Jay

I've made the recipe "as is" from the book and with dry hopping (.75 oz Cascade and .75 oz Centennial together). Personally, I liked the version without the dry hopping better. I like the flavor from the dry hop, but it overwhelmed the grain bill. One of the best parts of the recipe is the complex grain bill. You get that toasty, slightly roasty flavor and the hops together, which is great.

Even without the dry hopping, it's pretty hoppy. 4 oz of hops in the last 10 minutes of the boil will give you good hop flavor.

If it's just for drinking, go for it. It's great. It doesn't compete well around here though and always gets nicked for being too big and too hoppy for the style.

I think if you want a true American Amber ale this is way too big and the IBU's are IPA range..however if you love bigger hoppy beers and also enjoy rich complex ales as well imagine a combination of both. I agree it has a toasty complexity to it but a true amber ale is crystal malt driven so the sweetness is all crystal and should really only have a touch of biscuit flavor..I went for an amber ale with more hop flavor..I have almost 15% crystal malt in my grain bill..so it really works well with over 50 IBU's.

Yes this is above the style but I think you will see more and more amber ales hoppy..they might have to make a new style..(I personally love it because it is unique and everyone can make a big IPA with 10# 2 row .5# crystal 60 and 6 ounces of hops..

This beer is worth a try if you like the style(west coast amber or red ale)

just my thoughts

Jay

Bingo! I had someone over for NYE, after pulling off a pint she said "wow, you cloned Red Rocket?"

To be sure, I purchased a 22 oz. of Red Rocket, to be completely honest, this ale is better then Red Rocket, its less bitter but more hoppy (if you know what i mean) and a bit less sweet. I followed the recipe except I substituted Magnum for Horizon (morebeer seems to always be out of stock).

This beer is prone to excess carbonation, so take it slow...

I am planning to brew another batch tonight however I am going to double all the hop portions except for the 60 minute as I am trying to get closer to a red racer 5 without dry hopping, I just can't stand to waste beer with excess trub!

Style, just forget about it, this is really just a great, drinkable beer, and certainly one of my favorites, thanks a ton Jamil!!

Ross

I made this recently and have to say I havent been this happy with a beer I've made in a long while. This beer is along the same lines as Bear Republic's Red Rocket or maybe a slightly less malty True Believer from Ninkasi. Its delicious! If you are remotely considering making this beer, do it. Its a rich, hoppy and very drinkable beer. I can see how it would not do well in competition because it is outside of BJCP guidelines for an American Amber, but its really good!

I followed thee recipe exactly and it is the fastest batch I've consumed. Very tasty

i brewed this recipe straight out of the Brewing Classic Styles book, but i added 1oz amarillo and 2 oz simcoe dry hops in the keg. i have been drinking it since i kegged it but i have to say that almost 2 months later, it only gets better and better and is probably peaking right about now.the best thing about this beer is the balance of malt and hops and the fact that it isnt overly bitter like IPAs are. I really wanted to try to not dry hop it to see what it was like without them, but i couldnt resist. i have no regrets though and if i brew it again(which i will eventually) i will do it the same exact way with the dry hops.

Back