iPad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
http://www.apple.com/

iPad - your thoughts?

Stupid? Awesome? Waste of time? Revolutionary?

My initial impression when it was described to me was that I didn't like tablet computers when Dell was doing them, so why would I like this. After I watched the keynote video, I realized its a little more than that. Would I buy one? Probably not. At least not right now. I have a new Mac Book and absolutely love it. I'm in printing/prepress, so I've been using macs for a long time though. Call me a fanboy. Maybe I am. I'm withholding judgement until they are released and have proven themselves. Apple has a knack for taking a device everybody knows and completely reinventing it. This isn't a netbook, its not a squashed iPhone, its not a kindle and its not a tablet PC. With a browser, 3G, email capable, all the App Store applications, and who knows what else at this point I'm interested to see where it goes.

Can I run Beertoolspro on it?

If not, then its a useless hunk of junk!

They are launching the SDK. I think its up to the people who make Beer Tools Pro to make a compatible "app". It would be a pretty handy device on brew day with fully functioning brewing software. I use my laptop now, but it can be a bit ackward and clunky.

I think its stupid. Why is there such a huge bezel on it? No multi tasking?? And then there is the biggest problem with it no flash support. That is a huge problem in my book as a huge portion of the internet is flash. Its nothing more than a giant ipod touch. I would much rather have the hp slate that can run a full version of windows 7.

I'm a mac guy, but when I saw this I thought, "Apple, netbooks have been around for a while..." That's basically what this is (I know it's more, but in general that's what it is, a small internet and email device that does not recieve phone calls), except it will break and scratch easier than a flipping netbook. The screen's "iPhoneish" interface is cool, but I'd rather have a netbook. I think it'll go the way of Apple TV, the 1st Apple USB mouse and a few of Apple's other flopped products.

That being said, as a graphic designer and Apple fan - been using them for years (I think it was the IIe), I think it's cool. No, I won't buy one, but I love how Apple is always trying to create something new - if this flops like the 1st USB mouse, I'm sure they'll come back and make it awesome, like they did with the mighty mouse.

I really like it! I'm considering getting one but not right away

I probably wouldn't get 3G unless they come out with a prepaid service sans contract. I'd use this mainly for web surfing on the couch and when traveling. I would love it if I could run brew software on it.

Sounds like the Kindle app will work on it but I don't see this replacing my Kindle. I like the fact that Kindles screen isn't backlit and that its smaller. Kindle DX is toast though.

I'm undecided on storage. I still see my ipod as my primary music device and I'd continue using my imac for pictures. I'm sure I'd transfer music and some pics to the ipad but, even if I transferred all my music it's only about 5-6 gigs worth. That leaves me 10 GB left with the base model and apps don't take up much room.

The question I would need to answer is do I plan on storing a lot of video on it.? Also, do I wait to see what the Android tablet looks like or wait for second generation? I bet second generation is out before Christmas 2010. I love apple and don't see myself buying Android but who knows. The lack of flash support is a problem.

No, I won't buy one, but I love how Apple is always trying to create something new - if this flops like the 1st USB mouse, I'm sure they'll come back and make it awesome, like they did with the mighty mouse.

But its not new at all. Tablets have been out for years. They just arent popular cause they generally arent very functional/user friendly

But its not new at all. Tablets have been out for years. They just arent popular cause they generally arent very functional/user friendly

Yes, you are correct. I guess what I meant was, they are trying to take it in a different direction. And maybe that new direction is mass acceptance. Apple is at the hight of "cool" right now - they need a new income stream and why not a tablet/netbook...it'll sell like mad, then people will find out it stinks...then gen 3 will come out and work.

15 minutes into the release video, so far it's just an ipod/iphone but larger. Guess we'll see.
Just stopped watching the vid because quicktime can't handle being paused, minimized, restored and played again. That's the kind of quality I want in a company that specializes in Media :rollseyes: :D

.it'll sell like mad, then people will find out it stinks...then gen 3 will come out and work.

+1 unfortunately. All the hipsters driving Cubes and wearing fadoras will run out and buy on opening day give it high praises because they don't want to look dumb for buying it, normal people will buy and realize it's junk, then Gen 2 will come out, function better but still be nothing more than an oversized iPod touch.

This isn't a tablet. It's the bastard love child of an iPod Touch and an old persons TV remote.

Super-Sized%20TV%20Remote.jpg

+

apple-iphone.jpg

=

ipad_1567868c.jpg

If it will only run iPhone/iTouch style apps, it's a big loser. Furthermore, if I have to pay $99 for a dev kit in order to make my own app, it's an even bigger loser. At a minimum, make it so I can install an existing Mac/OS X application onto it - that would rock.

I'll pick one up as it'll do what I need. It's perfect for meeting clients(I'm a wedding photographer). Show them a slideshow on it. Draft up there contract then email them a copy. Then when I travel it's easier than carrying a laptop and will do what I need it. It's also a little more than a normal netbook which is fine by me.

If it could run something like Powerpoint, I might like it. [Hook to the projecter via a dock, I assume?] I've looked into getting a netbook for travelling, but a tablet is nice for scribbling on when giving a presentation...

Actually, I wonder if there is an iPhone app for that? Giving a slideshow direct from my phone would be even better!

If it could run something like Powerpoint, I might like it. [Hook to the projecter via a dock, I assume?] I've looked into getting a netbook for travelling, but a tablet is nice for scribbling on when giving a presentation...

Actually, I wonder if there is an iPhone app for that? Giving a slideshow direct from my phone would be even better!

They demonstrated Keynote on the iPad, which is Apple's version of Powerpoint. According to the presentation yesterday, they are going to sell it, Numbers (think Excel) and whatever their equivalent of Word is, for $9.99 each.

I don't have a purpose for a large iPod touch so it is not in my future.

This seemed like the easiest thing for them to do that would bring the most attention. This is far from revolutionary and it actually sounds very limiting in what you can do. It basically sounds like a big iPod with 3G if you want. woop-di-friking-do.

The other thing is I don't like paying for apps, for them to take a open source operating system, make tweaks and sell it is not alright with me.

Annoying that it will need to be jailbroken to be fully functional. Doubt I will get it. But we shall see.

If it will only run iPhone/iTouch style apps, it's a big loser. Furthermore, if I have to pay $99 for a dev kit in order to make my own app, it's an even bigger loser. At a minimum, make it so I can install an existing Mac/OS X application onto it - that would rock.

I want a full functioning computer with a full version of OSX in a tablet like that and then I'd be all over it. I have an iPhone. Why would I want something is just a little bigger? I might as well get a Linux tablet for half the cost.

I have a MacBook right now, it's a bit old (4.5 years old, but still works as good as the day I got it), but I'm still considering getting a new one, but I might just get one of these instead. I think Apple is on to something here. Let me tell you guys why this will be nice for me.

Starting in a couple of weeks, I'm going to be traveling for work, every week. Twice a week I will be at the airport. I no longer will have to lug my MacBook and work computer through security. I'll be able to turn it on, watch a movie, read a book, check my email, listen to my music, etc. Yeah, I can do these things on iPhone, but with a screen that small, it DEFINITELY takes away a lot.

I love my MacBook because it sits by my couch, and all I have to do is open it up, wait 5 seconds, and type in a URL, and I'm on the internet. This adds that same functionality, but takes it one step further with the 3G connectivity. It will really merge the pros/cons of your computer and cell phone.

Will it be perfect, HELL NO! But look at all the naysayers who looked at the short-comings of the iPhone, and said it would flop. Apple has a phenomenal relationship between marketing and development. Where as other consumer electronics company (ahem... Microsoft) try to throw all the features you might want on to a device that can't really handle it all, Apple starts with the barebones, and through market-research, they figure out what is missing, and redevelop the whole thing with the new requirements. This ensures that their products work, and work well. The same reason why there is no open development on it, they don't want anybody being able to write crappy code that will lag their machines up. My work computer? It freezes constantly, always have to reboot it, it's slow, the battery lasts no longer than 45 minutes, and I have to reimage it at least once a year. My MacBook, like I said, works as good as the day I got it in 2005. Never once had to repair it in anyway.

Look at the iPhone, the original version didn't have video, or picture messaging, or bluetooth, it didn't even have a keyboard. It also didn't have A LOT of things people thought they needed. But people bought the device, and people used it, and people reported back on what they really need, and Apple made it so. Apple found out that, hell, you don't really need a real QWERTY keyboard, so they left that out, and are continuing that trend here. You may argue that they did this so that current iPhone users would have to go out and buy a new one, and that may be a legitimate comment, but you can't argue with the face that the iPhone revolutionized the cell phone, and it that it is the most popular phone on the market.

Sorry about my rant, I know this is a HUGE post, but I'm a big apple fanboy, and I've been dying to get these thoughts out.

So why didn't they beef it up a bit more and put a full blown OSX on it?

P.S. I am thankful for the iPhone as I don't think the droid would be what it is without the iPhone leading. Now it's just a matter of time before it takes over the iPhone as soon as all the people that have crappy ATT in their area of service switch over.

If they beefed it up, it wouldn't be the machine they're looking to implement. It would be heavier, and thicker. It would have more processes that would bog down the operations. This is simple, clean, and functional.

It doesn't have a full-blown OS, because it doesn't need it, because it's not a computer. It's not going to replace people's laptops, it's only going to augment how people go about they're lives. (Or in other words, it's another piece of crap to buy ;))

I like my 13" unibody macbook (1st gen now mbp). I like my ipad nano (aka iphone), which even makes phone calls. I carry both with me when i travel. I have both with me in the office. I have both with me in front of the tube. I dont need another gadget. I think the newNewton is going to be another flop.

Great post DRoy. The more I read about this, the more I realize how awesome it will be. Whenever Apple implements a new device, people yell and scream about how it doesn't have this, and I want that. To be honest, I don't want full blown OSX in a tablet. Thats why I never bought a tablet PC. Some functionality of Windows just doesn't work well in touch screen.

My new unibody Mac Book is small, light, fast and powerful. If this had a full blown OS, it wouldn't be the ultra portable device it is.

Back