Brew Day Question! Ruination Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
Ready to rock on this chilly brew day in NJ.

I have a starter (4 cups water/.5 cup DME) ready with WLP001 now.

I am concerned this won't be enough to get the brew down to 1.010-1.012 range. I am temped to grab another vial to pitch. OG should be around 1.075.

Any thoughts?

I don't have Mr. Malty in front of me, but for a beer that size you probably want a 2 liter starter. If you have a stir plate, 1 liter should be sufficient. I wouldn't throw a vial in with your starter. Isn't worth it to me. Just mash low and long to get your gravity down.

Definitely, step it up.

I just brewed a Ruination, in dry hop now. Mine was at 1.088 with an alcohol boost. Man that thing was ROCKIN' fermenting. Thought is had enough head space in a 7 gal ale pail, wrong.

Enjoy the Ruination.

MrEggSandwich said:
This is an extract recipe. I would throw the extra vial in when I pitch the starter, not into the starter.

Yeah, I knew that was what you meant. There are a lot of variables that go into this. Probably better to pitch some extra with a big extract batch. Either way you will be fine. Follow your gut.

Back