What spare parts do you keep on hand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintopher

Reaction score
I just read Walker's thread about a failed SSR and it got me to wondering what to keep on hand other to prevent a brew day from coming to a halt. I just ordered some parts to start my build last night. I was looking at one of PJ's drawings and figured a failed SSR was a deal breaker and a failed contactor could be replaced with a switch in a pinch so I got 2 SSR's and plan on making a mad dash to Lowes if the contactor goes.

What are y'alls back up plans?

My backup plan is to trash the brew, order a new part, and go from there. Not sure if I can figure out which parts would need to be on hand, and if you could make emergency repairs in time to save the batch. For me, having the brewery back online immediately isn't really a driving factor - I do this for fun.

I don't think it it outrageous to have one of each thing on hand(aside from a contactor). When you thing of the cost of our systems plus the cost of some of the high gravity beers we brew, a few extra bucks for extras is a fraction. I do have one of pretty much everything on hand, including valves. It is all personal preference...but I built my rig to brew...no matter what. :)

S-

I usually keep items that I can't easily find locally. Adding an additional SSR to your order usually isn't that much compared to if you had to order one on it's own and pay shipping or wait 6-8 weeks from China.

Not so much so that I can save a brew day mid-brew but generally I try to setup as much as possible the night before and clean and test; that's when I would expect to find a problem. Generally I'm doing this relatively late in the evening so running out to the store for even a heating element wouldn't be possible.

My propane burner is my backup system, lol.

I was going to ask how many of you guys use to brew with propane and a mash tun.
Seems like if you still had that stuff you could change gears and fire up the burner to save the brew day.
Maybe not if you have converted the pots though. You might not want that flame up around your electrical connections.

I have a spare SSR already mounted in my control box, and hooked up to the BCS. Just a few jumper wires from getting up and running.

i have been useing my electric brew pot for a couple years now and havent had any problems but i think in a pinch i would just use the breaker to turn it on and off till icould get parts.

Back