Am I overly classified?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
I got a 12 pack sampler of Harpoon this weekend. I am really enjoying their "Harpoon Ale" but I was thinking, I probaby would not have bought it by itself. Normally if I buy a commercial brew I only get ones that I know what the style is or can guess by the name or description how it is classified. When a beer is just generically described or named ale or lager and then there is no or very generic description of the characteristics I tend to avoid it. Anyone else do this?

I guess with brewing I am the same way. I am also a pretty good cook and I know ingredients spices, seasonings well. I have no problem whipping something together food wise with no worries about styles or traditions. When it comes to brewing though I feel obligated to at least attempt to stay in the guidelines for a style. I suppose I am not as comfortable with bee ingredeints as I am with food so I do not feel at liberty to experiment.

hmmmm, just musing I guess. :confused:

I was watching "Secret Life Of...Beer" on the Food Network the other day and they interviewing the owner of Yuengling and they said that they brew three types of beer: "Ale, Lager, and Stout." I found that somewhat irritating.

I like the beers that say exactly what is in it so that before i drink it I can imagine what it is going to taste like...kind of a game with my taste buds. I also like at as I am developing my beer palate.

So, yeah, a beer that say "Ale" on it is boring even before I buy it.

Back