Pitching rate \ over-pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmf143

Reaction score
I am a believer in what Bob advocates in his post "why-not-pitch-your-yeast-cake-166221" and aim for 1,000,000 cells per ml of wort per degree Plato. What amount of cells constitutes over-pitching? 1,250,000? 2,000,000? I've never seen a hard number, just the recommendation to "not over-pitch".

Appreciate the help, but that's not what I'm asking - I'm looking for what the over-pitching number is so I can see what the margin of error is when calculating how much slurry to use.

I think the issue is there is no simple answer. Obviously it is a spectrum of effect that different pitching rates will have on your beer, it is not that once you hit a certain number your beer will be different or not good. If I remember correctly, JZ or JP or James Spencer or one of those guys did some experiments and found that in triangle tests people could tell if there was as little as 20% (not sure if I am making that number up or if I remember correctly) over pitch compared to the MrMalty ideal pitch rate in some cases, and usually they rated the beer with the over pitch as not as good. In other cases I think it took a lot more over pitching to create a noticeable difference.

Latest posts

Back