Tettnang substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
I was planing on brewing this weekend, and realized last night I forgot to order the hops for my belgain tripel when I ordered the grain. It calls for Tettnang and Saaz. The one HBS store I tried today only had the saaz.

Is there something similar I can substitute for the Tettnang.

I guess it would differ depending on the style that you're brewing, but what I've read (in my quite admittedly limited time brewing!) is that Tettnang, Saaz, and Spalt are at least to some degree interchangeable. I know that many styles depend on the minor differences, but since your recipe calls for both and you can only get one... perhaps you could just try two additions of Saaz?
I'd assume that the recipe calls for them to be added at seperate times anyway, and even the same variety will give different characteristics at different brewtimes.

ETA: I realize that aromatic vs bittering is obviously an issue... but all hops taste pretty bitter to me, so I'm not sure if the matter of degree is a problem. After all, all beer-making knowledge today is a matter of trial and error, and obviously there are at least as many personal preferences as there are styles of beer :)

No spalt, there either. I could use saaz for both. They hade mt hood, coulubus, northern brewer halertauer, crystal, centenial, falconer, and a few others. Im going to check one other store tommorow.

Just about any noble hop can sub for it, especially if it's for bittering. None of those you listed, though.

I'd try hallertauer or saaz for first choices.

Hallertauer would be my first choice but Mt. Hood is a nice alternate that is more widely available.

Back