Mash Tun Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonofbeer

Reaction score
So i am in a hurry to get a 2nd mash tun going.
I was able to get a good seal from inside of the cooler to out for the spigot.

I know i have seen builds where people have used stainless steel water supply lines to use as a manifold on the bottom of the mash tun.

Yesterday at home jipo all they have is now a plastic supply lines...Not stainless steal.

As anyone used this style of supply lines?

I just want to make sure before i cut the end off of a $10.00 supply line and find out it doesnt work :(

I am using a 30" inch supply line...Figure longer the better.

Typically i would use a copper manifold on the bottom with tons of cuts...but i am pushed for time.

This is also for a square igloo cooler...25L x 13 w x 12d
inside measurements.

This should be big enough to do 10gal batch's easy...

Thanks for your help! :ban::ban:

so the plastic braid ones will not work?

Does anyone know going copper manifold vs supply line is there a efficiency differ?

Thanks again

With batch sparging the lauter device makes no difference. All you are doing is draining the whole volume. You want the whole volume equal in gravity and to drain it as completely as possible.

Home Depot has the larger stainless hoses. The one I got was 12" for about $14. (I think it had a compression fitting on one end) They were in the plumbing section by the ball valves and compression fittings.

It had rubber tubing inside rather than the plastic that the smaller water lines had. I had to put a little dish soap on it to get it to slide out.

If your fly sparging I would highly recommend you just take the time to make a copper, or even pvcp one. If your batch sparging then a braid is just as good.

You really need a stainless braid, the plastic ones get soft and flatten, and likely add off flavors. Though if your batch sparging you can get by just fine with a wad of stainless steel scrubbing pad on the end of your drain pipe (attach with a zip tie). Just tilt it to get the last bit out, it will not flow as fast as a SS braid, but will cost much less and take less time, and then you can make a proper manifold when you have time.

Back