Tennessee Group Grain Buy Round 4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I never thought we would be ordering Round 2 & 3, but I have now been asked to start a round 4:confused: This may be the last one for a long time so make sure you get what you need for at least 3 months. PM me if you need any further information on this buy. :mug:

Hey guys, Bobby and I have discussed this a couple times in the past...what if we buy a few sacks of something like Special B or Roasted Barley, and then everyone can split it so we can get just a couple lbs each. I know I don't need 11# of Roasted Barley sitting around. Any other suggestions on grains we might want to split as a group?

Sign me up for:
1/2 Vienna
1 2-Row

Hey guys, Bobby and I have discussed this a couple times in the past...what if we buy a few sacks of something like Special B or Roasted Barley, and then everyone can split it so we can get just a couple lbs each. I know I don't need 11# of Roasted Barley sitting around. Any other suggestions on grains we might want to split as a group?

Sign me up for:
1/2 Vienna
1 2-Row

I could probably use a couple pounds of the following:

Carapils
Roasted Barley
Flaked Corn
UnMalted Wheat
Flaked Wheat

Special B and Crystal 120 are the same thing according to the chart.

The color is about the same...I have read Special B is anywhere from 130-150, but it also has a completely different flavor profile:
Flavor: Imparts a heavy caramel taste.
Raisin-like flavors in Belgian Abbey Ales
Plum-like flavors in Dubbels
Roasty/Toast flavor
Hint of nut flavor

bobby how much corn u need I still got alot. I could bring it by when I come to get my pbw.
I might be in for some pils but not sure. I like the idea of the bunch of us going in on a bag of a high crystal as fiji said 11# is alot.

bobby how much corn u need I still got alot. I could bring it by when I come to get my pbw.
I might be in for some pils but not sure. I like the idea of the bunch of us going in on a bag of a high crystal as fiji said 11# is alot.

I could probably use 5 pounds of it.

With the corn, what's the difference between using flaked corn/maize and doing a cereal mash with cornmeal? I've done the cereal mash, and it has seemed to work out well. I guess the flaked corn would be easier to use though...?

With the corn, what's the difference between using flaked corn/maize and doing a cereal mash with cornmeal? I've done the cereal mash, and it has seemed to work out well. I guess the flaked corn would be easier to use though...?

Way easier, just chuck it in the mash. The lazy way is the only way.

_

plus it doesn't add much flavor as where the cereal mashed cornmeal would add a little more of that corn flavor. I have done both and it really dont matter to me. I just do the cereal mash while heating the strike water. Normally by the time the strike is heated the cereal mash is done. I will bring ya 5#s here when I get my pbw.

QUOTE]

I know I will need a couple of pounds of;

CaraPils
Crystal 10L (or whatever name it goes by)

Now I just need a grain mill, hurry up Rebel!!!

Bobby are you doing PBW with this as well?

We can do whatever you guys want to do. As long as we have enough interested parties we will buy whatever you guys want to buy. I wouldn't mind buying another couple of cases of Star San.

Sign me up for 5 sacks of Canadian 2 Row. My only thing this time is that I really need it to be regular ole 2-Row :)

I'll watch what happens with the splits and might jump onto a few, I *finally* did my inventory last night and know what I have

I will probably order close to 5 sacks. That way when guys come to me wanting me to start another buy I can sell them a couple of sacks instead of going through all the effort of starting a new one:D

I need to learn excel then you can pass the torch to me I would go thru the effort to put the order together and what not. I just need to learn excel.

google docs for the win. That way everyone can see it and you can lock it down to just one or two that can edit. I know it was mentioned before in round 3, but it would really be handy to use.

I need to learn excel then you can pass the torch to me I would go thru the effort to put the order together and what not. I just need to learn excel.

Except you don't have an account with North Country.;)
I think once this is done, we need to be done for a while. A more regimented 2-3 times ordering per year should be more than enough. Hell, I won't need grain for a year. As new people come into the picture, they can be patient for 3-4 months until the next order is placed.

Just my thought.

_

I am certainly able to use Excel, so if an extra bit of help is needed...I am more than willing to help out. Run everything through Google docs, as thirty6hex said, and then Bobby can place the order. Google docs would help with splits, etc. Reducing the number of board updates.

The account is not in my name, but I can place the order. I am not familiar with google docs and if somebody wants to take that up and do it then by all means. I hate excel with a passion. I get a little frustrated with organizing the buys because of people not ordering what they need for the upcoming months. I am not accusing anybody of doing this, but I do know that Billy doesn't really have enough grain to last more than 3 months at his current usage rate:mug:

When I stated the 4th round it was because I had like 5 people tell me they would be needing grain and none of them have posted so far. I know Keagan wants to order a couple of sacks and I am assuming that Jason wants some as well.

Just assume that this will be the last buy for about 4 months:( I know that some of you guys are on a budget and if that is the case please just PM me and let me know what you are going to need in the coming months. I would be willing to buy some extra sacks to have on hand for those of you that don't have either the storage or the money right now:mug:

I agree with the google docs. Also there is alot of buys maybe this time wait till 2 pallets are full if there is enough interest that way every1 can get enough till the fall when the hop harvest is going on. heck guys the grain does last a while if you keep it outta the heat and keep it dry. not meaning to say keep it in a fridge but just in the house and you should be good for about a year with the grain as long as it stays dry.

I would in for a split of marris otter.

Bobby, I just set up an email account to help funnel all the group buy info into a centralized point for everyone. If you want to send me the excel file, I can work on getting it set up for us to integrate into Google.

[email protected]

2 bags 2row, 1 bag marris otter, 10lbs PBW, no star San. I can also split any specialty grains if someone would like.

I figure someone will let me drink a few of their homebrews after my long drive!!  We r coming down for the brewery festival so maybe we can pick up then!

the B session is already sold out, but I'll be there with the Murfreesboro club serving up some homebrew if you can make it out

Back