FG Readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is the best way to take a hydrometer reading after fermentation? I want to expose the beer to as little equipment as possible to reduce the potential for infection.

What is the best way to take a hydrometer reading after fermentation? I want to expose the beer to as little equipment as possible to reduce the potential for infection.

IMO a sanitized [ame="http://www.google.com/search?q=wine+thief&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a"]wine thief[/ame] to take samples.

this may be a stupid question, but is there an easy way to sanitize a wine thief with out making up a couple of gallons of sanitizer, I use starsan

this may be a stupid question, but is there an easy way to sanitize a wine thief with out making up a couple of gallons of sanitizer, I use starsan

You can make up a very little bit of sanitizer- if you use distilled water, you can keep it for a long time. I make up a gallon at a time, and keep some in an old milk jug and some in a spray bottle. I just spritz the turkey baster (my "poor man's wine thief") and then suck some up in the baster. Wait 1 minute, and it's perfect for use.

I read a tip somewhere on here to get a wallpaper tray from the hardware store to use for sanitizing long items like a thief, racking cane, bottling wand, etc.

I picked up one before testing the SG on my last batch and it worked very well.

I read a tip somewhere on here to get a wallpaper tray from the hardware store to use for sanitizing long items like a thief, racking cane, bottling wand, etc.

I picked up one before testing the SG on my last batch and it worked very well.

So I could sanitize my.......yard stick

Back