Partial Boil - Water Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groo

Reaction score
I'm preparing to make my first homebrew this weekend (Palmer's Cincinnati Pale Ale) and I have a question about the water that I use to add to the cooled wort.

My tap water is around 75 degrees, is this too warm to add to the cooled wort? Would it be better or worse to refrigerate 3 gallons for awhile then add it?

Thanks

I'm preparing to make my first homebrew this weekend (Palmer's Cincinnati Pale Ale) and I have a question about the water that I use to add to the cooled wort.

My tap water is around 75 degrees, is this too warm to add to the cooled wort? Would it be better or worse to refrigerate 3 gallons for awhile then add it?

Thanks

If I'm not mistaken, being just as new as you, you're going to have to boil the water to sanitize it. I don't think you can take it straight from the tap. As for temp, if you are topping up the wort which is already cooled to the right temperature, than the temperature of the water (pre boiled and cooled) should probably be the same. If you are going to cool the wort anyway, why not sanitize the water and then cool it to refrigerator temperature, and then add it to your wort as it's cooling to speed up the cool-down and top off at the same time?

I'm getting ready to do my fourth batch and am still figuring out the cool down ratio's. But I've got it sorta dialed in:
I boil 2 gallons for grain and Malt extract which will give you about 2.5 or so gallons after you add every thing. I chill that via ice bath down to 90 degrees or so. Then I add that to 3 gallons of chilled spring water. This gets me right around where I need to be. Climate and other factors will probable make this very so it make take a couple of batches to figure out.

Also You may want to think twice about using un-boiled tap water in your brew. After all the key to good home brew is "Sanitize, Sanitize, Sanitize." I'm starting to find out what a wonderful creation yeast are. They can over come so much and still make a OK if not a good beer. So the best thing you can do for them is make sure they have no competition.

After doing over 40 partial boils 75 degrees is fine. I would put a gallon into the refig if you can and use that is your 1st gallon - don't pour the warm wort directly into the carboy.

When cooling you only have to get to 100 and then add the cool water and top off with your warmish water. No worries about infection from your tap - I've never heard of any problems.

Back