Feedback on Chipotle Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAMMEE

Reaction score
I want to make a chipotle ale that really captures the chipotle flavor and a mild heat thats present but not forward in the flavor profile. I figured some Munich malt would work really well for this to provide some sweetness to counterbalance the spiciness. I may add some fresh roasted chiles as well but wanted input first, what does everyone who's tried a chile beer think, would 2 oz of dried chipotle be enough for flavor & heat, or should I add some fresh roasted chiles as well to add some zip and freshness? If so, how much?

.25 lb Carapils
1 lb Munich malt

6 lb Munich LME

1 ounce Palisades 6.7%AA for 60 minutes
0.5 ounces Willamette 5%AA for 15 minutes
0.5 ounces Willamette 5%AA for 5 minutes

Nottingham Ale yeast, ferment for ten days at 62 F, transfer to secondary for 7 - 10 days

Steep 2 oz. dried Chipotles in boiling water, then add the cooled water and peppers to the secondary, rack beer on top.

Target SG 1.048
Target FG 1.010
30 IBU's

You can also steep the chipotles as you described, and then add that "extract" to taste. This is what I did. You can pull out ____ oz of the beer and then add ___ ml of the "extract" until you get the flavor you want. Then bottle or keg with the correct amount.

That is a lot of munich though, it will be very melanoidin rich. I added chipotles to a stout, but you do need some malt to back up the heat. Personally I would choose a classic base style and brew a well accepted recipe of that style. That way you kind of know what to expect. Does that make sense?

i was thinking of a habanero lager. But rather than a heavy beer, something light. Get kind of a refreshing summer heat.
Just using the fruit and not the seeds would keep it from being too hot.

You can also steep the chipotles as you described, and then add that "extract" to taste. This is what I did. You can pull out ____ oz of the beer and then add ___ ml of the "extract" until you get the flavor you want. Then bottle or keg with the correct amount.

That is a lot of munich though, it will be very melanoidin rich. I added chipotles to a stout, but you do need some malt to back up the heat. Personally I would choose a classic base style and brew a well accepted recipe of that style. That way you kind of know what to expect. Does that make sense?

I did a lot of research on the malt base and I know a golden base will work in a neutral fashion. I have the munich on hand, and would like to use it. I've had a light lager based beer with chilli and it was "ok" but I thought the maltiness of the Munich would balance it out. So, I'm going to give the beer more chilli character than you probably would want with a lighter base.

I like the extract idea, but I was planning on steeping it like Brewpastor suggests in his recipe. After I refresh the chipotles, I plan to taste the steeping liquid to make sure the 2 ounce amount isn't going to ruin the beer.

Bump ^^^

I brewed up a PM clone of Dead Guy that turned out pretty good.

Used Maris Otter, Caramunich III, and a wee bit of crystal 20L in the mash, and the extract was light LME and sparkling amber DME.

Was thinking of trying a smaller batch, 3 ga. going AG for the base "brew", using the Cascade hops, Pacman yeast, and some small quantity of dried chipoltles in the last 10 minutes or so.

I was a big fan of Rogue's Chipotle ale, was one of those beers I would drink now and then with pizza or comfort foods like mac & cheese, and was thinking this would be something fun to try brewing myself.

Anyone ever manage to create a chipotle ale that turned out well?

Back