First brew went flawlessly...almost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braddock

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch last night. It was an AHS Summit IPA kit. The yeast was lively, my sanitation procedure went smoothly, and the grains and hops smelled wonderful. That smell alone will keep me brewing for the rest of my life.

The only WTF moment came as I was taking my hydrometer reading before pitching the yeast. I held the sampling tube with the hydrometer inside in one hand and took a sample with a turkey baster with the other. When I squeezed the sample into the tube it foamed and raised the hydrometer. Then the foam just vanished and the hydrometer dropped with a firm tap on the bottom of the sampling tube. A chip popped out of the bottom of the tube and a stream of wart poured out onto my foot. It was like my brew kit pissed on me just to keep me from getting cocky.

Thank goodness I was holding the tube to the side of the fermenter instead of right over it. First upgrade to my Williams Brewing kit is a decent sample tube.

As far as "mistakes" go, that's pretty mild.

Congrats on the first brew! I love the smell of boiling wort too, especially right after adding a heaping pile of hops.

-Steve

That was a glass hydrometer sample tube? I didn't even know they made them in glass. I still use the cheap plastic tube my hydrometer was packaged in. It is discolored and kind of warped from years of use and from receiving very hot liquids but still watertight.

I have almost lost my hydrometer when I have filled the tube with running tap water to clean it with the hydrometer inside. The speed of the filling popped the hydrometer up and almost out of the tube to a sure death. Both times I caught it on its way to the sink.

Steve, did you even sleep last night?

I always use the plastic tube that the hydrometer comes in, its the perfect size. only problem is when your dealing with boiling wort.

I didn't think to use the packaging tube for the sample. I had to pitch without knowing the OG. The plastic tube is my new sampler. I'm looking hard at a thief though...must have more gadgets.

If it was an extract batch and you are at a known volume you know the og without checking. In that case the fg is the only important measurement.

(If you need help with this, post the malt ingredients including quantities and we'll help.)

I use the large tube from my Autosiphon (without the racking cane part) to take samples. Move it up and down a few times and it'll fill with beer.

Back