Breakfast Stout Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RallyintheValley

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm going to try and brew the extract version of Founder's BS, but I have a few questions for the brew vets.

This is what the recipe calls for...
6.6 lbs light liguid unhopped malt extract
1.7 lbs light dry extract
22oz flaked oats
1lb chocolate malt
12oz roasted barley
9oz debittered black malt
7oz crystal malt 120

Steep crushed grain in 2 gallons of water at 155F for 30 minutes. Rinse with 2 quarts 170F water

My questions are:
1) Do I put the Ch. Malt, Roasted Barley, Black Malt, and Crystal Malt in with the 22oz of flaked oats when I steep at 155 for 30 min?
2) When I finish and rinse, do I then bring that water to a boil and add the extracts? Or do I bring separate water to a boil and then add the extract and the water I steeped my grains in to that?
3) Is it ok to steep and rinse all those in a muslin bag? Or should I pass through a strainer when done?

I'm a beginner, so I wasn't quite clear on that process.

Thanks!

Hey all,
I'm going to try and brew the extract version of Founder's BS, but I have a few questions for the brew vets.

This is what the recipe calls for...
6.6 lbs light liguid unhopped malt extract
1.7 lbs light dry extract
22oz flaked oats
1lb chocolate malt
12oz roasted barley
9oz debittered black malt
7oz crystal malt 120

Steep crushed grain in 2 gallons of water at 155F for 30 minutes. Rinse with 2 quarts 170F water

My questions are:
1) Do I put the Ch. Malt, Roasted Barley, Black Malt, and Crystal Malt in with the 22oz of flaked oats when I steep at 155 for 30 min?
2) When I finish and rinse, do I then bring that water to a boil and add the extracts? Or do I bring separate water to a boil and then add the extract and the water I steeped my grains in to that?
3) Is it ok to steep and rinse all those in a muslin bag? Or should I pass through a strainer when done?

I'm a beginner, so I wasn't quite clear on that process.

Thanks!

I have made an all-grain version of this beer twice using the BYO recipe as a starting place. Both batches turned out very good. Their recipe uses cocoa nibs and Ghirardelli Chocolate in the boil kettle and Kona and Sumtra coffees, one in Boil kettle and one in the Secondary. I think they would really add that Founder's flavor if you can use them.

Back