Coopers carb tabs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppheadIPA

Reaction score
So I had to use coopers carb tabs in my pumpkin ale cause I failed to add the priming sugar at bottling time. I cracked open each bottle and added the tab. Well it's bee 2 and a half weeks, and they're still not carbing. Should I be concerned???

What temperature are they being stored at? The cooler the temperature, the longer the carbing time. Sometime I have beer that will take 4-5 weeks to carb.

Are you getting any foam/bubbles/hiss when you open a beer?

Another thought, How many did you put in per bottle, medium carbonation should be 3 tabs per bottle if i remember correctly.

no, I re-capped with NEW caps. They're sitting at about 68 degrees and I get a slight hiss when the bottle opens.

You will probably end up with very light carbonation. Check the directions, they say to put 2-4 per bottle depending on the level you want.

I tried them once and was disappointed that you had to put multiple, and they are more expensive than I thought when you have to do that.

You will probably end up with very light carbonation. Check the directions, they say to put 2-4 per bottle depending on the level you want.

I tried them once and was disappointed that you had to put multiple, and they are more expensive than I thought when you have to do that.

I think you're referring to Munton's Carb Tabs, those are a lot smaller. The Coopers are about the same size as a jolly rancher and I only used 1 per 12 oz. bottle, they work.

If you are getting a slight hiss when opening up your bottle, I'd also give at a few more weeks. The carbonation ought to be fine though.

I've used them for my first batch ever. :) In the waiting game :)

The funny thing about the Cooper Carb drops was that there were more than 60 drops in the bag ?!?! And, yes I checked every bottle! I put 2 in as per the Cooper's Kit instructions...

Guess I'll use the rest in my next batch!

Anyway, I'm tempted to open a bottle at the end of the first week as the first 2 weeks the beer was fermenting there was already some gas in it :)

Don't use 4 or 5 COOPERS drops in 12 or 24 ounce bottles. Those are the muntons tabs. The muntons tabs are small, so that you can easily get a different level of carbonation if desired, or if you're using an odd sized bottle. Coopers drops are meant for 12 and 24 oz bottles, so only use one for a 12 oz and 2 for a 24. The coopers kit comes with 30 750ml bottles, and they tell you to use 2. I personally think they work great. They carb up in a week, if you're doing a low to medium gravity beer and leave it in 65 to 75 degree ambient temperature. They're perfect for coopers kit users because they only give you one fermenter, so when bottling straight from the fermenter, it's easy to just drop 1 or 2 in a bottle and fill it with beer. If you have a second bucket that you can bottle from, then you have more options with priming sugar.

Back