Beginner goin AG....??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
Is this normal.

I'm new to AG and will be trying my first this weekend. I came up with my own batch of chocolate oatmeal stout and I was wondering if this is normal or would even work. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

3.5 lb. Maris Otter
3.5 lb. Crystal 120L
1.5 lb. Rolled oats
.25 lb. Chocolate malt
.25 lb. Roasted barley
2 oz. 5% fuggles (60 min)
.50 lb. Lactose (10 min)
4-8 oz. Cocoa powder (10 min)

wayyyy to much dark crystal and not enough maris otter. cut that down to .5 lb. Crystal 120L. Cut the lactose and cocoa for the first time to keep it more simple. I would amend the recipe to this for a 20 liter batch and you should have an awesome brew:

8 lb. Maris Otter
1 lb. Rolled oats
0.5 lb. Crystal 120L
.3 lb. Chocolate malt
.3 lb. Roasted barley
1.75 oz. 5% fuggles (60 min)

Use nottingham dry yeast if you can find it

I agree that the original recipe has way too much 120L in it. You should try to keep crystal malts to 15% or less in most recipes. peterfuse adjustments look like more along thelines of what you want to go with for your first AG.

Ed

Is this normal.

I'm new to AG and will be trying my first this weekend. I came up with my own batch of chocolate oatmeal stout and I was wondering if this is normal or would even work. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

3.5 lb. Maris Otter
3.5 lb. Crystal 120L
1.5 lb. Rolled oats
.25 lb. Chocolate malt
.25 lb. Roasted barley
2 oz. 5% fuggles (60 min)
.50 lb. Lactose (10 min)
4-8 oz. Cocoa powder (10 min)

IMHO...Bump up the Maris Otter to at least 8.5-9 lbs.
Dial back the Crystal 120L to a pound or less.
Do only one ounce of Fuggle at 60 minutes, then do a late addition of one ounce Fuggle at 10-15 minutes.

I highly recommend some brewing software such as BeerSmith or BeerTools Pro. Once Bobby_M showed me how to use BTP to it's full potential, it took all the guesswork out of my recipes, mash sched., temps, etc.

Also, use Ed's "Brewbuilder" feature at Brewmaster's warehouse. It's awesome!

In addition to the above comments, I'd also recommend getting flaked oats instead of rolled. With flaked oats, you can just mash them with the rest of your grains. With rolled, you have to first cook them.

In addition to the above comments, I'd also recommend getting flaked oats instead of rolled. With flaked oats, you can just mash them with the rest of your grains. With rolled, you have to first cook them.

Rolled oats are flaked. Sometimes rolled oats are flaked then slightly toasted, but in general, they can be used interchangeably in brewing. Steel cut oats will need to be cooked first.

Rolled oats are flaked. Sometimes rolled oats are flaked then slightly toasted, but in general, they can be used interchangeably in brewing. Steel cut oats will need to be cooked first.

Not the "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" you find in the grocery. They haven't had their sugars gelatinized yet (I don't think they're wetted before being rolled the way "flaked" oats always will be). Not every "rolled" oat is the same, while you know that "flaked" is at least.

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Other Grains and Adjuncts

Latest posts

Back