How to adjust for 1 gal trub loss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwitt

Reaction score
I followed the brewsheet steps from beersmith to the letter. I hit my temps. I Used the amount of water specified and my volumes were spot on with the brewsheet at each step.

I had 6.5 gallons preboil and had 5 gallons post boil. I transfered the wort to the fermenter stopping when the trub started to transfer. I wound up with 4 gallons in the fermenter.

How should I adjust for this loss? I could add 1 gal to the equipment dead space but would I need to add more grain or dme to correct the gravity?

This was my recipe. Sort of a Cream Ale.

4 lbs 6 row
1 lbs 2 row
.5 lbs Carapils
2 lbs flaked Corn
1 lb Flaked Rice
1 lb extra light DME

1 oz Cascade at 50 min
.5 oz Sterling at 10 min

Towards the top of the Beersmith screen there is the line for Equipment. Click the Details button next to the Choose button. On that screen, towards the bottom left, there is an area for Lost to Boil Trub. I usually adjust that from .25 to .75 gallons depending on how many hops I use...

1 gal in a 5 gallon batch is a lot of trub loss, you may want to look into other methods on getting more wort from your pot. Perhaps if you use some of the hop bag ideas found on this site, or just using a whirlpool (if you have the patience).

I built the hop bag with the big piece of pvc pipe, the pieces of all-thread, paint strainer bag, and ring clamp. It works wonders. I'm amazed at how little is in the bottom of the pot when I siphon out after whirlpooling. Since I use an autosiphon, it might not even be necessary to whirlpool, but since I cannot see through the wort to tell, I do anyway (plus it gives me time to set up my aeration equipment for running during the transfer)

1 gal in a 5 gallon batch is a lot of trub loss, you may want to look into other methods on getting more wort from your pot. Perhaps if you use some of the hop bag ideas found on this site, or just using a whirlpool (if you have the patience).

I do whirlpool by stirring and waiting about 20 min for everything to settle.

Since I started AG and using flaked corn and flaked rice there seems to be a huge amount of cold break material in there. Much more than I'm used to.

On my next batch I'll do something without the flaked corn or rice and see if there is less trub after the boil.

I used to agonize over the amount of wort lost to trub and spent many hours trying a variety of techniques. The problem I found was that depending on the recipe that the amount of trub varied alot from batch to batch regardless of whether I whirlpooled, strained etc. I gave up and now all my recipes factor in a 1 gal loss. Now I just RDWHAHB and drain off 5 gallons of crystal clear wort every time and am happy with 70-80% efficiency.

GT

I agree with the idea that you can not prevent trub and just empty into the fermenter. The beer does not care either, it's still good. :mug:

Back