I need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNYCOLDSNAKE

Reaction score
Ok new Guy from New York Here I want to make an Imperial Stout Dose anyone know of a good kit and what I can do to make it my own. Im not ready for the AG yet But I want it to be something I can mess with

I'd check with most of the major online suppliers (Austin Homebrew, Northern Brewer, Midwest Supplies, Brewmasters Warehouse, etc.) and see what they offer for RIS extract kits. Usually they have an ingredient list so you know what goes in it. From there you could substitute some hops, try a different yeast, or whatever it is you wanted to change up.

But in all honesty, the kits are usually pretty tried and true and unless you already have a bit of experience with various ingredients you are better off dialing in the brewing process with a good recipe first, and experimenting after you're already perfecting those recipes. Otherwise you have a lot of variables in the mix that can make it hard to pin down what might be giving you beer that isn't so great.

Where in NY are you? If you're within driving distance to Saratoga def. go to the Saratoga Zymurgist. He'll set you up with a good kit and even better advice.

stouts are hard to mess up and therefore the best beer to start with. i recommend the white labs irish ale yeast or nottingham S-04 dry yeast. ferment it at room temp for 2 weeks and keg or bottle.

stout is not the best style to experiment with as a beginner, but to make it an "imperial stout" you need to add more fermentables and research a yeast that will attenuate a high original gravity wort desirably

Back