Oxiclean affecting my carbination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmatt

Hop Addict
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all. I bottle (yes I prefer it to kegging) and lately have been noticing that a good number of my beers are flat after 3+ weeks of bottle conditioning. It isn't every beer, some are perfectly carbed but I'd say every 3rd one is way under-carbed or completely flat.

I was chalking it up to not thoroughly mixing my priming solution in my beer before I bottled, so on my last batch, I made sure I added the solution in increments while transferring and gently stirred the whole thing very thoroughly. Cracked open a few this weekend after 4 weeks and again, every 3rd one comes out flat :mad:

Today I was preparing about 4 cases of bottles for my bottling this weekend (Irish Red and Ed Wort's Apfelwein). I soak my bottles overnight in a big plastic tub of hot water and oxiclean then remove the lables an rinse thoroughly the next day. Today after I did this I noticed that there was still a haze on the inside of the bottles after I rinsed them 3 different times.

Sorry for the long intro, but do you think that this haze of oxiclean is contributing to some of my bottles being under-carbed? I soak the bottles in starsan before I actually bottle so I figured this would take care of any haze left inside but now I am having my doubts...

i would think if it was the oxyclean it would affect all your bottles not just a third of them. some bottles for what ever reason take longer to carb than others. so while some may be perfectly ok these late carbers are taking their sweet time to carbonate.

i would think if it was the oxyclean it would affect all your bottles not just a third of them. some bottles for what ever reason take longer to carb than others. so while some may be perfectly ok these late carbers are taking their sweet time to carbonate.

Ahhh, it is so frustrating because there is no way of knowing if it is carbed or not until I open it. Oh well, maybe I can make a game of it with my friends...whoever gets the undercarbed beer is the loser.

Back