Carbonation Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taelmore

Reaction score
I have a problem with my 22 oz. bottles, or so it seems. They just dont seem to be carbonated like the 12 oz. bottles. I put the 3/4 cup sugar and boiled it in water then added it to the 5 gal. and bottled it, now it seems that the bigger bottles just dont have waht the smaller ones do. Any Ideas?:drunk:

Not sure, but perhaps they need more time to generate the desired level of carbonation due to the greater volume? Maybe not, they still would theoretically have the same ratio of yeast to priming sugar as a 12 oz bottle would have.

Maybe the veterans will have some input.....

I have wondered about the more volume thing as well? and yep they all came form the same batch when bottling. And I hope the vets can help a rookie like me... Thanks

I am not a vet by any means, but I would imagine it would take longer for the larger volumes to carbonate as the C02 has more beer to mix with.

I've used the carbonation drops before (I know not the same as dextrose), but when using those, they say 1 for each 12 oz. bottle and 2 for each 22 oz bottle. I'm thinking you need more dextrose to carbonate each bottle, maybe upwards of a cup?

I've used the carbonation drops before (I know not the same as dextrose), but when using those, they say 1 for each 12 oz. bottle and 2 for each 22 oz bottle. I'm thinking you need more dextrose to carbonate each bottle, maybe upwards of a cup?

With the drops, that's to increase the carbonation tab to beer ratio. If you're mixing the dextrose into the beer before bottling, then that ratio is carried to 22 oz bottles the same as it would be to 12 or 16 oz. bottles. The ratio of 3/4 cup to 5 gallons is set in the carboy or bucket.

hmmm never had the problems when I bottled and I used 22s as much as possible. Maybe the caps aren't seasling as well on the 22's. I don't think it wouldbe the amount of sugar.

It simply takes longer for pints and 22's to reach carbonation, than the 12 ouncers. Larger volume for the yeasties to eat through then reabsorb into the beer.

I bottle at least two 12 ounce 6-ers for competition along side my normal drinking pints, and the pints always take longer than the 12's....

I think it was Big Kahuna who explained the "mechanics" of this on another thread...There's nothing "wrong" that patience won't fix...they will carb up eventually, usually 2 weeks later than 12 ouncers (approximately.)

Back