Bittering Hop Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aubie Stout

Reaction score
I was at the LHBS today picking up ingredients for a hopped up roggen. Anyway, my schedule is for three additions of Amarillo hops (bittering, aroma, and flavor). Any how, the LHBS says that with the hop shortage, they are recommending alternatives for bittering hops. She recommended some of the lesser used varieties because you really couldn't tell much of a difference. I want all Amarillo (that's why I picked em in the first place) so I declined to change my bill.

What say you? Could I even tell?

Thanks,

In recipes I don't first wort hop I've switched out my bittering additions to Galena with no noticeable difference. It's a nice neutral flavour and high AA% so I need quite a bit less than of it than the 'normal' hops I use (EKG, Fuggles, Hallertau). So I save money and have less plant matter in the kettle sucking up my precious wort. :D

I've noticed very little difference between bittering hops. Hops added at 60 or 75 minutes seem to have little to no flavour left at the end.

Back