Investment op....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy 1 or 2 types of St. George in Kroger. They really have a decent selection of VA/regional beers. I forget which types of St George they have, I haven't gotten around to sampling that brand yet.

Their site hasn't changed since my last post on March 1. :(

According to their main page, the new pics are 6/6/06. I did give them a ring last week and left a voicemail (no response). Their voicemail said check back in April so it sounds like that hasn't been updated in a while.

A couple of us ran over there today during lunch. Construction is still going on (looks great) and they expect to start brewing somewhere around the middle of July.

The site has been updated with new pics. Still no info on tours yet but they have most of their beers with descriptions and labels.

Hello all,

Just wanted to check in and give you some scoop on Williamsburg AleWerks.

I am Mike Pensinger and BrewMaster and co-owner of HomeBrewUSA. I wanted to reply to a few of the posts contained in this thread.

We will probably start production next week (provided my Mechanical contractors come through). We have had a long run of it and things are finally coming together. The website (www.williamsburgalewerks.com ) has a number of new pictures posted as of yesterday.

We are a colonial themed brewery with contemporary equipment. We will produce a line of beers to include the following:

Chesapeake Pale Ale
Drake Tail IPA
Washingtons Porter
Tavern Ale (American Brown)
Colonial Wheat Ale

To address some of the concerns about my background. I have been brewing for 12 years and did a two year stint at Hilltop Brewing Company in Virginia Beach. We have run HomeBrewUSA for the last 3 years and have built it into a thriving business. I am not a homebrewer that suddenly decided to open a brewery. I was approached by a gentleman who wanted to restart Williamsbug Brewing Company after Andy Rathmann at St Georges recommended me to him. We spoke and decided that a fresh start was a better move and have taken that and run with it. Chuck is the only one that had any ties to Williamsburg Brewing Company and he has since removed all ties. We have our licences and are ready go!

I will not get into the reasons that Williamsburg Brewing Company shut down. I will say that it ABSOLUTELY was NOT because there is not a thriving market for the beer (if it is good). If you stop by the brewery and really want to hear my views on it ask me in person.

We are always looking for people who share our beer views and would like to be involved in the process. If you are interested in investing ($5000 - $50000+) please feel free to contact me.

Mike Pensinger
Head Brewer - Williamsburg AleWerks
brewer (at) williamsburgalewerks.com
757-839-7439

Sweet!

I propose a group tour and beer swap for everyone in central and east VA. It's about an hour from Richmond and VA Beach so it won't be too far for anyone. Anyone interested?
I'm available any weekend except this weekend, Aug 4th weekend, and the weekend of the world brew festival in Durham, NC in Oct.

I don't know if Mike P. is going to check back for any replies but just in case, are you planning on having a table at the Shockoe Beer Festival in Richmond in Sept. or the WBF in Durham? Also, will you be distributing your beers to Richmond and if so, when?

Well, the Alewerks brewery is pretty nice! The kettles are beautiful, brick lined. The brewery abviously still has some work, but it looks to be coming along nicely. Mike has really done a good job there. I was really surprised at how small it was though--I believe he said 49' x 49'. I'm sure it will work until they get REALLY big. :D I'm excited to taste the brews--Mike said hopefully they can brew for the first time next Wednesday, I don't know which recipe they are going to go with though. Hopefully a pale ale. :)

Two things I found very interesting--He's using White labs yeast, and it is NOT WLP001. I won't divulge the information but he did tell us at the meeting. I was nto surprised at all--it is the yeast that I made one of my best beers with.

One other thing he threw out there--for anyone local that is interested, he is goign to brew a seasonal rye pale ale (probably for next spring?) and he said if oyu have a good recipe, to brew it and bring him some samples and he will pick the one he likes the best and will brew it. That is pretty awesome. I'm submitting Red Eye Rye. :rockin:

Anyway, can't wait to try the beers.

Back