Too Warm for Lagers, Too Cool for Ales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyPABrewGuy

Reaction score
Hey all -

This is my first winter brewing (western PA). I have no temperature control except for my basement. During the summer it stayed relatively constant at 68F-71F, some days a bit cooler. But now that its 18 degrees overnight, my basement has been getting down to like 56F to 58F. That's according to the sticky Thermometer thats attached to my primary fermenter (Yes there's beer in it).

So here's my question . . . Is this too cool to brew ales? I know its a bit high for lagers. I would rather leave my fermenter on the first floor of my house where its around 68 and let it ferment out for a week (or until its done) then put it in the basement for a few days to "crash cool" it than have a slow fermentation in the 58F basement.

I'm I on the right track with this, or am I way off base????

Cheers,

If your ambient temp is 68 on the first floor, then the metabolic heat from fermentation may drive your temps up past 75 in the carboy. I'd keep it in the basement...

...and get yourself a run-of-the-mill heating pad at the drug store, and tie it around your fermenter with some string or a bungie cord. voila.

I am running into the same problem. I am lucky enough to be able to continue to do ales in the finished part of my basement, where it remains 68*. However, I was hoping to do some lagers in my basement this year and it has not dropped below 60 yet. However, it has not gotten overly cold here yet. I dont think it has dipped below 25 yet and certainly has not been consistenly cold. I am thinking about figuring out a way to lager in my keg freezer, we will see how that goes.

Anywho, you have some options. For example WLP810 SF lager yeast has a range of 58-65, WL820 Oktoberfest has a range of 52-58, and WLP862 Cry Havok (Papazians yeast) can ferment in almost all temps, so you have some options at the temp you are at.

IndyPABrewGuy said:
...But now that its 18 degrees overnight, my basement has been getting down to like 56F to 58F. . . Is this too cool to brew ales?

Someone already mentioned SF Lager Yeast, which is good for this range. And to add to the heater recommendation, I'm a big fan of the FermWrap. When paired with a temperature controller, they really work well for holding fermentation temps (together they'll cost you over $100, but it's money well spent IMO).

Just wrap the heater around a carboy or bucket and plug it into the controller with temperature set to whatever you like.

ebeer said:
Someone already mentioned SF Lager Yeast, which is good for this range. And to add to the heater recommendation, I'm a big fan of the FermWrap. When paired with a temperature controller, they really work well for holding fermentation temps (together they'll cost you over $100, but it's money well spent IMO).

Just wrap the heater around a carboy or bucket and plug it into the controller with temperature set to whatever you like.

So, what about just keeping my ferementer on my first floor that holds at 68ish for the first few days? Workable scenario or not?

If you have a relatively constant temperature in the range you want, then I'd say you're solid.

I have a 100+ year old house. The tempuratures in my carboys in my basement is usually about 56-58 F. I have no problem making good beers in the winter.

German Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1007) is a good choice for brewing in cooler weather. Also, California Common (Wyeast 2112) would also probably be good.

Whatever yeast you use, you may actually find you are getting better results at this time of year than you do in summer.

IndyPABrewGuy said:
So, what about just keeping my ferementer on my first floor that holds at 68ish for the first few days? Workable scenario or not?

As I mentioned in my first reply, 68 is a fine WORT temperature for most ale yeast---but the heat that is produced by metabolizing yeast during fermentation can raise the wort temp to more than ten degrees F above the ambient room temp. Unless it's a saison, et al, I'd say that the wort temp during fermentation will be too high if the ambient temp is 68F. So put it in the basement and get a cheap heating pad and some string at CVS. That's what I do when necessary (my basement temp right now is 58-60).

Castle Meadow Brewery said:
Steam Beer....Steam Beer....Steam Beer....'nuff said:mug:

Now I like me a steam beer, but 3 batches a month of it from here until March is a bit ridiculous . . . . . or maybe not!!:tank: :mug:

Kolsch yeast works well at those temperatures, too. You could do altbier, kolsch, cream/blonde ale, berlinerweiss, etc. I used Wyeast 2565 Kolsch on a cream ale and fermented it in a fridge @ 50°-55°F and still blew the lid off the bucket. Very aggressive stuff.

Chad

You could put your brew in a water filled container and use frozen PET bottles to adjust your temps down to lager fermentation temps. I'm doing this method ATM because my lager fridge is full and am keeping a lager ferment of 52f.

I have 10-gal of wine, 5-apfelwein, 5-cider, and 5-brown ale. It's all sitting at 57 degrees, kind of like your basement. There's a wide mix of yeasts at work. I just pitch 'em and let 'em go to work. They're either fermenting or have finished fermenting. Unless you are trying to duplicate a style in exacting detail, I'd say just brew ale, steam beer, cider, or whatever, and don't worry too much about it.

Back