OMG Who Farted!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Ok... here's the deal... I have a honey hefe fermenting in a 5.5 cu ft freezer with temp control. Last night when I got home I opened the lid to check the batch and it smelled like someone let a huge fart, my daughter even mentioned the smell when she came out of her room.

Fermentation is going great.

What would cause such a bad smell? Could it be the CO2 thats trapped in the freezer?

Possibly the CO2, but more likely the Hefe yeast. Most hefe yeasts produce sulphury smells and general nastiness. All that nastiness trapped inside an airtight cooler is bound to build up and smell like something died in there. Good news, the beer won't have those flavors.

MriswitH said:
I had the same issue with a Honey Brown I made - it smelled like someone took a dump in it.

That's good to know - I racked my Octoberfest to secondary last Friday and when I popped the seal on the primary it smelled like straight up a$$. Tasted OK thank God.

krispy d said:
How appetizing!

haha, for sure. Thankfully, it also cleared up and tasted 'alright;' however, I blame it on the Laaglander DME that I used. (Which is absolute rubbish, I might add)

I used Nottinghams in mine when it produced the vapors - but again, it was most likely due to the honey.

Back