Hop yard build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_one_seven

Reaction score
My rhizomes should be here this week. I have 4 cascade and 4 willamette rhizomes coming.

I am planning a basic hop trellis. There will be 2 sets of 12 ft 4x4's. Going to bury them 2 ft deep and surround with concrete. I am going to run an elevate bed between the poles and string jute twine from each planting site to the wire.

I have most of the hardware already purchased and the following pictures show this.

DSC_3028.jpg

DSC_3027.jpg

I will update as the week goes on. Should be purchasing the wood and poles later this week. I will also do a couple of shots of the hop yard location.

I'm a bit behind because I wasn't expecting it to get nice so soon. I am hoping to have it all set up by this weekend......or maybe next. I wasn't sure on the cables, they are supposed to be able to hold 340 lbs each. I am hoping for a good crop but I think I should be safe.....

It's been awhile but I have progress to report on the hop trellis.

IMG_0175.jpg

Holes dug and post waiting to be leveled and set.

IMG_0177.jpg

Raised bed in place waiting to be filled with topsoil.

IMG_0178.jpg

Second trellis waiting for the raised bed to be put into place.

Definitely looking good. I just ordered some rhizomes and was going to put in pots to grow until I figured something out, but I just may have to put this in motion!

Thanks, I will update tomorrow when it's all finished up. I have to haul in a butt load of topsoil. Gonna be a tired puppy.

Are you going to fill with bags or bulk soil? I ask cause I brought in bulk from a local supply and I've been battling it ever since. The screened top soil I got had no N or P and the ph was low. Of course I didn't learn this till after the plants were in. That along with this cooler weather has stunted my plants. It's alot easier to fix the soil Before you plant.

All done. Just have to run the twine when the bines begin to grow.

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

The fencing is for the rabbits they are ravenous around here.

Thanks. No I hope I can keep the bugs from feasting on them. deadboy pm me if you need any additional info.

My biggest question at this point is how did you plant the eye hooks in the ground? Are they just sort of buried or did you sink them into a wood plank and bury it?

Just buried deadboy. Once the bines start climbing the they become irrelevant.

Here in Illinois they would be heaved so badly as the first freeze thaw cycle that they would be unusable. YMMV. For all the work I prefer they stay put.

That makes sense. I only planted mine a week or so ago, so they aren't up yet. Just wanted to make sure that if I had to do more digging I did it sooner than later.

IMG_0235.jpg

Cascade!

IMG_0234.jpg

Pumpkins!

Everything is growing nicely. I decided to plant pumpkins under the hops. We will see how that works out. Has anyone else tried this?

Back