Two Hearted Ale Extract Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGlothan

Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch last night. I cant wait to sample in two weeks! I went with the Ninkasi Tricerahops double ipa for my first shot. The uncarbonated beer that didnt quite fill the last bottle tasted amazing and packed a punch. I want to try to make Bells Two Hearted Ale next. Does anyone have a recipe for this beer? I am equipped for extract brewing for now. Cheers!:mug:

I've heard good things about about Northern Brewers Dead Ringer, it used to be called Three Hearted Ale. Lots of folks like that one.

Looks like the Dead Ringer is the one. Can I just round up those ingredients from my local homebrew store or should I order the kit online? The Tricerahops was a partial mash so I will be fine with this one. Thanks for the advice. Ive been enjoying craft beer for years and just began home brewing. Why did I wait so long?!

I guess you have three options with that. One, would be you could come up with your own recipe if you have brewing software (not recommended if you only have one batch under your belt. Two, you could find some other partial mash recipes for a two hearted clone on the internet, or three, just buy the kit and everything will be simplified for you.

I recommend just going with the kit since you're fairly new to brewing. I don't think you'll have access to Northern Brewer's recipe until you buy it (I'm sure a small percent of the kit sale includes them sharing their recipe, and it's usually in bad taste to post a companies recipe online). If you find that you you want to brew it again, you could certainly just get the ingredients separately since you'll have the recipe, but i've found that it's not that much cheaper than just buying the kit.

Buy the kit and use it's ingredients to play around in Beersmith or whatever software you want to try. I've heard only good things about the NB kits and I know someone who made the 2H and was very pleased even though they were very new at brewing.

To make it even more special, buy a 6-pack of Bells amber, or some other light ale they make and build up a yeast starter of their own house yeast. Only takes a glass jar, some starter wort (dry extract boiled in some water) and some yeast from the bottom of some bottles of Bells.

Ill try the three hearted from NB. Unfortunately, I can't get Bells in CO, this prompted the desire to make it. I do have some wonderful homebrew supply stores nearby though. From the little research Ive done, it seems NB kit is hands down the best. I would like to learn more about making yeast starters, I have never tried this. My first beer kit came with yeast specific for the recipe

Google yeast starters. it's as easy as mixing up some 1.030-1.040 wort with extract and water and boiling on stove. Then chill and combine with liquid yeast in a sanitized jar. Place foil on top to keep the bugs out.

Shake it every once in a while.

To harvest yeast from bottles, I carefully pour until I start to see the yeast heading to the lip and then stop it, or until there is about a 1/4" or maybe a little less left in the bottle. Then I quickly recap and place back in fridge. After a few are drank I swish the yeast up into suspension and pour it into the starter wort and place the foil.

A stirplate makes the growth much more efficient, but not having one shouldn't stop you from trying it out.

:mug:

Thank you ajlee! Im going to the brew shop with this printout and see if I can round this up. Im too impatient to wait for mail:eek:

orcus332 said:
I guess you have three options with that. One, would be you could come up with your own recipe if you have brewing software (not recommended if you only have one batch under your belt. Two, you could find some other partial mash recipes for a two hearted clone on the internet, or three, just buy the kit and everything will be simplified for you.

I recommend just going with the kit since you're fairly new to brewing. I don't think you'll have access to Northern Brewer's recipe until you buy it (I'm sure a small percent of the kit sale includes them sharing their recipe, and it's usually in bad taste to post a companies recipe on-line). If you find that you you want to brew it again, you could certainly just get the ingredients separately since you'll have the recipe, but i've found that it's not that much cheaper than just buying the kit.

You can see all of NB's recipes on-line, you don't have to buy the kit first. Just click on additional info and there is a PDF with the recipe and instructions. That being said, I have bought this kit and it came out great.

I just put together a recipe for a partial mash so i've been reading a lot of posts on two hearted clones. I've heard a lot of good things about the kit from northern brewer
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...act-ale-kits/dead-ringer-ipa-extract-kit.html
Looks like there are some grains to steep, but shouldn't be an issue with whatever set-up you have.

+1 for the NB kit.

I've brewed it with good results. Almost spot-on flavor, aroma, color, though mine was a bit cloudier than I'd like. Might be able to fix the cloudiness with finings and cold crashing.

Patrick (graybeard)

thanks for all the info! Ive had two hearted a few times and it always kept a place in my mind. Its great to know I can make it (or very close to it) at home. My first batch is waiting in bottles (Nikasi Tricerahops). Im excited to see how it turns out. Ive been swept away with how cool brewing is. Im only starting to plan my second batch and I have list of equipment I already want to buy for it. The big one being a 6 gallon carboy. I lost beer during primary fermentation from excessive blow off. I will use my 5 gallon as secondary and dry hopping from this day forward. I will also up the batch size slightly maybe 5.5 gallons. I got 42 bottles from the first batch. Being a double ipa, that should keep me set for a bit.

Thanks,

Shawn

+2 on Dead Ringer kit. Both the extract and all grain options are very simple. I made the all grain one with 11 lbs of 2 Row and 1 lb of Crystal 40 (easy to disclose their kit contents b/c they have it right on their website). I wouldn't be surprised if the real Bells was slightly more complicated than that. But regardless this beer is all about the all centennial hop schedule and using their exact yeast.

I've had 2 or 3 other clones using other yeast. The one I brewed with the actual Bells yeast was very close if not "Dead On" Hehe. The only thing I will change next time is to add more dry hops, and probably switch those over to leaf hops. I also used gelatin during a cold crash to help floc out their yeast.

Ya that was one suggestion I had if you're going to your LHBS today. I'd get another ounce of centennial and dry hop a week before you're going to bottle the beer. Should help with the aroma. Most of the clones i've seen are dry hopped. I've never done it myself, but as soon as i get my stuff for my two hearted partial mash i'm going to give it a shot! good luck. Just picked up a sixer of amber ale to culture from :p We need a beer trade, i can't get new belgium and you can't get bells :mad:

Man, I would trade breweries if I could. I am certain the New Belgium homebrew version is stellar. I have become so used to it over the years. Also, there are so many breweries sprouting up all over Boulder and Denver areas. Odell, Asher, Dry Dock, Avery (my favorite), New Belgium, Great Divide, and Coors (haha).

Back