Beers getting worse and worse...a ha...a thermometer reading 12 high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
So my beers since I have been brewing 2 years ago have been getting a bit off and now I know why. My Brewers Edge therm is way way off.

This last 20 gallons I had to dump had so much astringency and tannic that it was undrinkable.

Thermapen? What's my next step. Otherwise I have a great setup and keg, but even my heartiest of brew drinkers said this stuff goes down the tub.

I love this hobby, and now know as I grow to a pump and plate chiller next week I want to make great beer.

~Diz

My thermometer is also off but not by 12°. Mines only 4° low. I'm undecided whether or not to replace it.

That sucks... but your next batch should be great now you have fixed the issue.

My thermometer is also off but not by 12°. Mines only 4° low. I'm undecided whether or not to replace it.

If it is not a floating thermometer, but one with a dial or a digital display you can likely recalibrate it in either boiling water or ice water.

Last edited by a moderator:
pablo1337 said:
That sucks... but your next batch should be great now you have fixed the issue.

If it is not a floating thermometer, but one with a dial or a digital display you can likely recalibrate it in either boiling water or ice water.

Really? How? I just found out my thermometer is 6 degree off. Was wondering why my beers are attenuating so high.

I had one of those Brewers Edge thermometers thermometers go bad on me as well. If I calibrated it at boiling, it was way off at freezing temp, and vice versa. Picked up one of the digital "lollipop" ones from Amazon, and it's been my best brewing investment in a while.

Back